Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't update programs after recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 styleguy

styleguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

I will be glad to donate $ to any expert who can help me with this:
When my computer came up with a bluescreen error and I could not load windows, I booted windows from a disck; the Reinstallation DVD, Microsoft windows xp media center version 2005 with update rollup 2. I honestly dont remember the steps i chose after that-- something to do with "recovery." Now, I can boot the computer from hard drive and windows will load, but only after i choose one of two options, "windows xp media center" or "microsoft recovery console." I choose the win xp media center, and windows loads. Now windows has returned to its original program settings (IE 6, instead of IE8, and SP2 instead of SP3) But, now my favorites dont work; the website is still listed (missing icon) but it doesnt go to location when i click it, and so i have to go the the website by using google search (it works) but, when i get to the website, and click on links or download buttons, i get the the message "the requested look up key was not found in any active activation context." So now i can't even upgrade my programs, because when i try to down load the upgrades, I get that msg "the requested look up key was not found in any active activation context" There's no system restore point, i checked). And I've changed to boot order back to boot from the hard drive.
Windows XP, media center edition, version 5.1, service pack 2.

Edited by styleguy, 16 October 2009 - 03:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

Use of the disk you used to recover the system...is governed by the manufacturer of that system (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.).

All recovery/restore disks issued by a system manufacturer are unique in the instructions provided for the use of same...ultimately, the manufacturer determines how the repair/restore game is played on that system.

Nothing I can tell you...other than to look up your system at your manufacturer's website...or go back and read whatever documentation came with the system.

The manuals usually contain specifics about what can and cannot be done with such disks...and how to do it.

Louis

#3 styleguy

styleguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:34 PM

thank you hamluis.
So can I used this disk to reformat (not sure if that's the right word) windows xp on my computer--just retart with a clean windows? I have all my documents backed up to an external device, so i won't lose anything. Because, the problem right now is that I can't update any programs because I'm getting that error msg "the requested look up key was not found in any active activation context." So, my question is how can I just reinstall windows? Do I just boot from the disk again, and use a reinstall option? I don't remember seeing that option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users