Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Settings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CVR

CVR

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

Approximately one month ago I switched from DSL and its associated wifi device to Comcast and its associated wifi device. Two laptops were unaffected by the change, but my desktop computer will not let me into my Hotmail email account. When I try to call up the Hotmail webpage, I get this message:
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."
In a box below it says "Diagnose Connection Problems." When I click on that box I get this message:
"Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on the computer.
Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21)."
From that point on I am lost. I don't know how to check those ports or even check for a firewall. I did find the "Windows Firewall" in the Control Panel but changing its setting makes no difference in displaying the Hotmail webpage. Comcast has been no help at all.
What should I do to check the ports, etc.?
Thank you in advance.
CVR

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

can you give me a screen shot of what you got as an error. You can take a screen shot by pressing the print screen button on your keyboard than pasting pasting it in an image editing program like paint or microsoft word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users