Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restore points

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coco1976

coco1976

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

when i had windows xp on my pc i could restore it back a month or 2 (i think) but now on my laptop it takes ages to load pages and especially videos on youtube and stuff, now when i try and do a restore it only gives you something like 5-7 days , is there a way to restore it on vista back to at least 2 months when my laptop was working dead on, or even some program to run to see if something has slowed it down . cheers

Edited by coco1976, 16 October 2009 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

System Restore recovers Registry and System Files and is limited by how much space is allocated to it.
I don't think you will be able to go back beyond the restore points that have fitted into the allocated space.
In Vista it seems to use up the allocated space quickly (and quietly) and slows PC performance. See:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...asked-questions
Your slowness may be from old System Restore sets etc:
To clear old System Restore sets - Log in as Administrator, Open COMPUTER, Right click on C: Drive, Select PROPERTIES, Hit DISK CLEANUP and let it do its work. When the results come back Select the MORE OPTIONS tab at the top and then hit CLEAN UP under the System Restore and Shadow Copies heading. Then keep selecting Delete and OK until it has cleaned everything up. You should then Defragment your C: Drive.

#3 coco1976

coco1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

ill try it mate and let you know how i get on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users