Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive gives error when trying to initialize.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xeroten

xeroten

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I'm trying to install another internal hard drive, but when I attempt to initialize it, I receive the error pictured in this screenshot:

Posted Image

Event viewer only shows "Unspecified error (80004005)." Which yields no useful information as far as I can tell.

The drive is a 250gb Western Digital SATA. I have 2 other internal IDE drives as well.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it possible that the drive is damaged?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

Is the jumper setting correct (since it's a PATA drive)?

What steps did you go through...in this effort to initialize the drive?

What is partition F:? If it's a flashdrive, try disconnecting it temporarily.

Louis

#3 xeroten

xeroten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

The drive giving me the problem is the SATA drive, the IDE drives are set as master and slave and work correctly.

F: is a virtual drive, I disabled it and I get the same error when trying to initialize the SATA drive. I'm stuck, no idea what to do.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Sorry, my eyes aren't so good, but my brain is even worse :thumbsup:.

What steps did you go through...in this effort to initialize the drive?

It's nice to see that you have an error message...it might be more useful to know what steps led to that error message.

"Right-click the name of the new drive and choose Initialize Disk. This opens the Initialize Disk dialog box. Select the new drive, and the system will initialize the new drive as a basic drive. Restart your system if you are prompted to do so."

Louis

#5 xeroten

xeroten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

That's what I did, right clicked the drive and selected initialize, after selecting the new drive, the manager pauses for a few seconds while I assume it is trying to initialize the drive, and then pops up the error.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

I would run a diagnostic (long/extended test) on the drive, assuming that there are no other structures on the drive and that you have a drive which has no known defects.

If this is a new drive...I would simply attach the drive to a different system and see if that system detects it properly.

Drives (and any other computer component) can be DOA, even when new.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users