Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

forum topics

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 feltgood1

feltgood1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

I installed sbc/yahoo dsl recently but couldn't get connected. They sent a tech out to check it out & I was told that I'm online but can't connect without knowing the numbers only of web address because somebody pirated my system. I had Norton antivirus & firewall which ran all the time but sbc tech (by phone) had me uninstall norton firewall which deleted my whole norton program. I did buy Aluria Spyware eliminator recently, & I did activate the windows firewall after losing Norton. I also downloaded the free avg antivirus program today, also. The sbc tech said I need to reformat my computer to eliminate the hijacker, then reinstall windows xp pro. When I had this computer forced on my last october, it was in trade to family member (soon to be ex) who owed me money. I came home one day & this computer was installed. So, I don't have an xp disc, nor does my xp version verify with microsoft. I just got a new copy that I am to install after I reformat my system. The SBC guy told me to go to c prompt & type c:/ s
to reformat. Is that all I have to do? Then put in the new xp disc to set up? Please let me know asap as I have been paying for dial up & dsl since 7-14-05 & am close to billing on dialup. Thanks for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:00 PM

You could try running HijackThis which will tell you what various programs are running including ones that hijack your browser. And then post it in the HJT forum. As for the re-install you do need a Windows XP Home/Pro Disc. If you have it then you can just change the boot order in your BIOS to that of your DVD or CD drive. The computer will then just boot from the disk to Windows Setup and you can format your computer that way. There are other 3rd party programs that will format just the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users