Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restart, unsure of Overheat, PS, or XP itself.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

Howdy
I just built my new pc and it's been about 3 weeks from completion.
Lately it would restart, no warning or screens. Acts like someone flips the power switch off and back on, then starts it back up, all in one motion.
I've had one friend say it's a possible Power supply gone faulty, and to check the 12v rail.
A couple other friends think it's just an over heat issue so the pc restarts to prevent damage.
I know most of this sounds like Hardware, but I'm not 100% sure. So if this belongs in the Hardware area, please move it there.

I have a EVGA x58 SLI, i7 950, one 250GB and one 1TB hard drives, 750Watt PS, Cool Master V8 heat sink, and 3 case fans (front and back are 120mm and side panel is 80mm), and lastly XFX GeForce 9800 GT.
Other than that, DVD drive, Corsair Dominator 4GB PC12800 DDR3, and Katana Case, and Windows Home 32bit SP3.

I've opened up the the E-LEET program that came with the motherboard and all are in Degrees C, there is NO overclocking done (unless, the pc did it on it's own, then I have no idea).
CPU hovers around 30C, VREG is 44C, System is 25C, Cores 1-4: 46, 45, 45, 44, respectively.
When I was glancing through the Bios, to see if maybe something was set far too high, the Northbridge was hitting in the 50's, not sure where exactly. And lastly, my Video card is hitting 70C
The VREG and NorthBridge, and Videocard seems to be the only parts that seems pretty hot, other than the video card, the others I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

Thinking it was just heat the first day, I turned off the pc for about 30-45 and I could use it with no problems for the following days. That day was Monday, today is Thursday and it is acting up again.
Note, Monday I had the pc off for 30-45 minutes before going into an America's Army 3 Scrim with my Team. Today I haven't done much other than starting up Eve online, after playing for 20 minutes, I'm guessing, the pc restarts.

That seems to be about it. I've even let the PC sit at the desktop for a couple hours over the time period and nothing went wrong. I can't say what would cause the issues. Both AA3 and Eve I have the graphics settings maxed. Yet even sitting here typing the pc restarted 3 times.

(PS: gotta love FireFox for saving what I type when sudden restarts sneaks up)

[b]EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 16 October 2009 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:24 PM

If the computer overheats, it will shut down, not restart. The temps look ok to me. I am not sure about the video card though.

The first thing I would do is make sure it is not set to reboot after a BSOD. Right click on my computer, properties. Click on the advanced tab and click on the settings tab under the startup and recovery. Uncheck the box automatically restart under system failure. If you are getting blue screens, you will see them now.

It sounds like a driver issue or bad memory to me. But lets wait and see if you get a blue screen, that will give us more information about the problem.

#3 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:16 AM

I've already done that by suggestion I read else where earlier this week. No BSOD's, sorry to say.
I took a step in increasing the fan on my video card from auto to manual and increased it to 100%, instead of 30% that it was at the time. I went from 70 to mid 50's and no crashes yet. I'll give it a week before I even dare say that fixes the problem. Extra noise isn't an issue with me though.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Edited by Liger_XT5, 17 October 2009 - 02:17 AM.

#4 notaclue12

notaclue12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:47 PM

If you figure out anything, I'd like to hear.
My brother has the same MoBo, same(i think) i7(but overclocked, and water-cooled), same Watt PSU, but an NVidia gtx 290 or something and is randomly rebooting when he's playing resource-intensive games(Left4Dead, Borderlands, etc.)

Edited by notaclue12, 08 November 2009 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users