Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows wont load my personal settings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 momma d

momma d

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have been having problems getting my computer to start up. It says windows is loading and saving my settings, but then goes to my screensaver and gets stuck there. I have been able to go into my task manager and aceess all files in my C drive, just not my internet explorer icon. It doesn't even show my start button in the left hand corner of screen so that I can go to "my computer". Do I need to install more memory, or can anyone give me some ideas to try? Thanks.

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum~I'm guessing XP

Edited by garmanma, 16 October 2009 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Okay, I'm not sure were exactly your getting these problems. Let's break it down.

1. When do you get the "Windows is loading and saving settings" and which is it really doing. It usually doesn't load and save settings at the same time.

2. You haven't been able to access your internet explorer icon. There is no my computer on your desktop so you can't access it, and you can't see your start button.

When exactly did you start getting these problems what were you doing when it first happened? Did you install a new video card? (I'm guessing not, but since the start button is missing I have to ask.) Do you have a "Windows" key on your keybord, it looks like the windows icon? If you do then try pressing that to see if the start menu comes up. In the mean time to access My Computer without an icon press "Windows Key + E".

If you right click the desktop
hit properties
click the tab that says desktop
click the button on the bottom left that says customize desktop

There are a few check boxes that allow you to choose what shows up on your desktop. My computer is one of the choices so click that if you want My Computer on your desktop.

If you can get a screenshot of your desktop and post it on imageshack.com or where ever so I can see I might have another idea of what could be going on.

#3 momma d

momma d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

I can't access my control panel. If I press control, alt and delete it will go into task manager and windows will shut down that way. It will also restart, says welcome, then goes straight to my screensaver and gets stuck there. I had a anti virus spyware thing that kept popping up, trying to get me to purchase it, when this all started. I went to bleeping computer and ran one of the cleaners they had listed there. Ever since then, I've had problems.

#4 momma d

momma d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

What does svchost.exc mean?

#5 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

svchost is a windows service, nothing to worrie about. is it possible at all to give me any screen shots? Also what was the name of the anti-virus you used?

#6 momma d

momma d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

I don't remember the name of the anti-virus. One of the first ones listed on the website. I'm using my daughter's laptop right now and don't want to take any chance of infecting her computer with whatever is wrong with mine. I guess I can take some pictures of my computer screen with my digital camera, download them to her laptop and then post them here. Would that work? Thanks so much for trying to help me with this. I'm at a total loss.

#7 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Yeah that would work. What happens when you right click your desktop take a picture of it same with when you hit CTRL+ALT+DEL try to get pics of every problem you've noticed and also your running processes.

#8 momma d

momma d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

ok, I can do that. I think if you can see a pic of my running processes you might be able to give me some ideas. All the CPU usage when I'm in Task Manager shows 0 except for the Task Manager program. I'll take pics and get them posted as soon as I can. Thanks for your help.

#9 DVaD

DVaD

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

By the way I suppose I should ask this, do you have a restore CD, or windows XP CD?

#10 momma d

momma d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

No, I don't. Came with our Dell computer when we bought it years ago, and we lost it last time we relocated. I can call Dell and go through the whole process with them I guess if I have too. I'll get those pics to you and we'll go from there.

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:06 PM

Next time you get into Task Manager on the afflicted system, click File, New Task and in the box enter:

explorer.exe

Click OK.

Does that get your desktop back?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 otabnauj

otabnauj

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

I got the same problem... as momma d. Does that mean I get to open up a new topic for my own problem?

#13 Trillogy

Trillogy

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

You've picked up a serious malware. This one is difficult to deal with and pretends it's an antivirus. You need to take this problem to the Malware section and have them help you there. They do a great job and you'll work with one person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users