Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSOffice 2007 won't open - winword.exe bad image

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skylyre

skylyre

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Hello everyone,

Up until today, my Microsoft Word 2007 worked fine. Today I went to try and use it and I get 4 error messages that pop up:

1st: WINWORD.EXE - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\office12\mso.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

2nd: WINWORD.EXE - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\mso.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

3rd: WINWORD.EXE - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12\MSO.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

4th: Error (has an MSWord logo on it)
The operating system is not presently configured to run this application.

So basically I go to open MSWord and the box will come up with the error. When I click OK the next one comes up. I tried restarting my comp and also did a quick scan on f-secure's website (Kaspersky was down). The F-secure found some tracking cookies and removed them but that was it.

I mainly use Word, but I tried opening some other MS Office programs and got the same thing.

What the heck is going on here?!

Gettin stressed,
Skylyre
with a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skylyre

skylyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I just want to add that this is my work computer... it's one of 2 comps connected to a server. Running Windows XP.
My coworker runs MSOffice 2003 on hers and it works fine.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

Sounds like the mso.dll file got corrupted
Can you go back to a previous restore point?
You might have to reinstall Office
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 skylyre

skylyre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Just came back to the office this morning and now it works...? Beats me. Though I am glad I don't have to reinstall it :thumbsup:

skylyre

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Good to hear
While everything is working you might want to back up important files and documents
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users