Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTSC, ATSC, Clear Qam...HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 axs

axs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

Hi:

I'm looking for a tv tuner that will work with Vista 64-bit. I'm mostly interested in using this as a PVR, to record some programs. The feed would be from the coax off a subscribed satellite receiver. I am using the Red, White, Yellow cables from the receive to go to my TV set, and I want to use the coax output to go to the tv tuner of my PC. I can set the timers on the receiver, to switch the satellite channels as needed, so I mostly want the tv tuner to work with Microsoft Media Center to act as a PVR, and occasionally, I'll watch TV on my PC.

Most of the TV tuners I've looked at support ATSC (antennae over the air), NTSC (analog cable), or digital clear Qam - not sure about these...are they free digital channels?

What kind of TV tuner do I need just to record from a subscribed satellite feed?

I tried ATI's TV Wonder HD 650 Dual Tuner, but it doesn't work with Microsoft Media Center (crashed my system).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

I don't know anything about Microsoft Media Center/Windows Media Center..but I've had ATI capture cards in the past...and Pinnacle and currently use Hauppauge cards. The cards I've had or reviewed indicate if they are compatible with XP, Vista, etc.

Any capture card I've had comes with a program for capture...so I'm not sure what role MCE plays in your install of Vista.

I don't know anything about Vista, but...if the card indicates that it supports Vista, then it does.

If you used the USB version of the ATI product...that may have been your problem. There is also a PCI-e actual card, rather than a USB device which connects to the system. There seem to be few USB-connected devices...that don't develop some sort of problem eventually, IMO.

As long as you are capturing from any coax cable (cable, sat, etc.), then you want analog capture capability.

I would suggest that you not use a USB-connected device...and get a real PCI-e capture card, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815116015 OR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815116033. More info on any card...is always available at the manufacturer's website. You can also Google and check for reviews, user comments, complaints, etc.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#3 axs

axs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks.

Yes, the one I tried was a usb connection. I was hoping to stick with a usb connection, as I'm really afraid of opening up the cpu box. The ATI tuner that I tried said it was Vista certified, but crashed my system everytime I started Media Centre. The vendor's site has an updated driver, but it did not help. The vendor forum site indicates that many people are waiting for help with open tickets for more than one year.

My confusion about the signals, is that satellite is digital (isn't it?), or is it just digital through the red/white/yellow connections? If I use the coax output from the receive, does it become analogue? Sorry, still somewhat confused between digital/analogue.

Has anyone had a good experience with a USB Tuner?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:22 PM

Google is wonderful for finding simple definitions, etc. If you choose to use it, it's a valuable tool.

FWIW: ATI drivers...historically...have been the weakness of their capture cards. If you look, you will see that very few persons complain about the ability of the card to capture/function...but there are tons of complaints about the drivers and other software.

ATI is no longer really interested in the capture card business, IMO.

They discontinued/lost interest in the AIW series until recently..and have been concentrating on video chipsets for motherboards and video card manufacturers...my opinion.

I would not pursue one of their products today.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users