Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card & HD possibly failing?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HTiger

HTiger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Laptop
GTX 260M
T9900 3.06GhZ Core 2 Duo Processor
4 GB DDR3 RAM
1 500GB HD
64-Bit Processor

I was just watching the Simpsons, and all of a sudden it starts glitching up real bad. Whatever. But then it was frozen on the same screen and I could still hear sounds from the episode. I couldn't turn off the computer normally, control alt delete didn't do anything and eventually just a completely blank screen took over.

So I had to just power off directly. I did that. And I retried it, happened again. Had to power off again.

This time I just decided I was going to try playing it in Winamp rather than Windows Media Player. While I was scrolling for the episode, it did the same thing. Now I'm genuinely worried. Something is up. I have to power off again and this time start it in safe mode.

I get in safe mode and then I restart while in safe mode to normal mode. I decide Im just going to browse the internet. About four minutes pass and my screen freezes up and then the screen goes blank. Sound is still playing.

What is going on? A google search tells me my graphics card could possibly be failing -- I JUST GOT THIS IN AUGUST. Then, the next day something very disconcerting happened to me. I turned my computer on like normal today, and all of a sudden I see this weird black screen with white text talking about "Windows needs to check the disk for consistency" or something. No way to exit out of it. What is going on? I'm backing up all my data right now in the meantime.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

It sounds like your video drivers became damaged\corrupted. When you were forced to do the hard-off several times it is possible that some necessary OS files became damaged. Let Windows do it`s thing with the disk check. Then go to the manufacturers website, find your laptops model and download the latest graphics drivers. Uninstall the old ones and install the new.

See if that sets things right.

#3 HTiger

HTiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:40 AM

Yeah I did that. Seemed to work, but I actually just did that instinctively without even seeing your response. I think I had the latest version but regardless I just updated anyways. The reason I'm posting back is that everything has been great like normal, playing games and whatnot crystal-clear. Until about 10 minutes ago today. Today I'm streaming a video in fullscreen, then my screen goes completely red. Like, literally the whole screen is red. And the last milisecond of sound is looping forever. Woah. Hit the power button, and then I get the whole "windows did not shut down properly" etc I just hit start like normal. Then eventually, I see a brief flash of a blue screen with like only three small lines of white text in the upper left corner and then a screen saying "Windows failed to start". Wow.

Edited by HTiger, 25 October 2009 - 02:40 AM.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:11 AM

How big is your power supply? Backing up your stuff is a good idea, but I'm curious as to the size of the PSU because if it's to small it can cause problems. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wildabeast, 25 October 2009 - 03:12 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

I would also consider overheating
check the fan on your video card if you have one
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users