Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Save As from Context Menu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fanflame

Fanflame

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:42 AM

Dear all,

The company I work for has a basic HTML Intranet, NOTHING FANCY. It is just a place to put news and any PDF fileS etc.
I have been asked to put some Excel Files on this site so that the Sales people can share one sourced price list. This is an Excel file and I have been told it must not be copied or changed in any way; or saved onto any other location.

I have used Excel own tools to lock the spread sheet but have two difficulties:
  • When the Link on the Intranet is clicked on (which simply points to the Excel file) a Dialogue Box prompts the user to "Save or Open" the file!
  • Some users have the ability to Right click the link on the Intranet and choose "Save As" or "Download As" where they can save the file to another location!

Does anyone know how to remove these options?

I fear that I will have to make changes to the GPO that will affect every Workstation which will remove the ability of user to have the Save As option on any files... obviously there are occasions where we need to Right Click and Download or Save!

Any Help would be appreciated as I have asked many people and searched Google and can see that the questions are asked but I can see no answers!? :thumbsup:

Many Thanks

Fanflame

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fanflame

Fanflame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Dear all,

No one has an idea on this one so let me expand a little...

... I have now tried opening PDF's and they open straight away. I have tried to open WORD and EXCEL documents and both these give me the option to "SAVE AS" or "OPEN" rather than just opening.

AS I have been asked to make these files secure so that people can read them but not copy them I am a bit stuck.

Even if I look at the permissions under the Security Tab (Win2K) on Properties there is not the option to stop people Saving the file - the file is marked up as "Read Only" - and "Users" only have the permission to "Read and Execute" but still both WORD and EXCEL give the option to "SAVE AS" or "OPEN" rather than just opening.

I am at a loss to get round this and days are passing by without me completing the job.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Fanflame
:thumbsup:

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:07 AM

I can't think of any way to accomplish this task given the constraints you've specified. You want to make some data available via simple HTML and a browser without letting the user download or save the data. Such cannot be done: even if the "save as" option were removed, the file must be downloaded to the user's computer to be viewed.

This could be accomplished, I think, with some other methods of distribution (i.e. a database backend to a web app or something), but that sounds like more work than you're wanting.

You might find something somewhere in Google Apps that'll do it. Dig through the settings and see. Shot in the dark here.

#4 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

I agree with Andrew, if the user can open the file they can certainly do a save as to make their own copy of it.

Only thing you can use to get round that would be a proper Digital Rights Management (DRM) implementation, and I suspect this is beyond the scope of yyour project.

You might be best to save the Excel file as a pdf, or perhaps simply as HTML (select the cells to include before you do a save as)
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users