Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msparsons

msparsons

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

I am so unsophisticated as far as computers go, but have managed for 10 yrs with no viruses or major mishaps by keeping my travels on the internet limited and not being clickhappy. Sitting at my friends house two hours ago, she asks me "What are all of these weird messages and links you are sending me on messenger?" Then suddenly one popped up with me sitting there. Contained a short general personal msg, like "Ah, you got with some old school chums i c!" Then a link followed , containing something like "cantfoolme.com" . Some links contained MY email addy in them. My computer was totally shut down at the time she was receiving all this. Any help appreciated Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

maybe some one knows ya password ? and using your account as a spam bot account

same thing use to happan to me but people would send to me insted
just went away after a period of time :thumbsup:

#3 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:47 AM

You could have fallen victim to a bigger problem, but don't panic.

Microsoft announced on Oct. 5 that information about thousands of email accounts they service was posted on the Internet and someone you don't know could be using your account to send spam email.

The quick fix:
  • Immediately change your password on the affected account
  • Open a new account under a different username for both email and instant messaging and let your contacts know which email address and IM username you want them to respond to. This way, they can simply ignore any unwanted messages and block the username.
  • Once you block receiving mail from a specific email account, have those emails go into your "Junk" or "Spam" folders just in case you want to track how that particular accout is being used.
The biggest problem you will have is in getting the word out and having your contacts remember to check for information under your new username.

The New York Times article about this problem can be found here:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/1...ords-stolen/?em

#4 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

I forgot one VERY important thing:

NEVER click on or reply to any email or instant message you dont recognize because when you do, the person who sent the information to you will receive the reply and be able to verify that they have control of a working and valid email or instant messaging account.

It's similar to dialing a phone number at random and waiting for someone to pick up...

If you don't answer, no one can tell if you're home.

#5 Ash98

Ash98

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:16 AM

Yea, if you click the links it infects them with it...I heard. Cause my friends had it and i had to send a massive email for them to get rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users