Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Earth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 furntree

furntree

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

has anyone tried the new Google earth?

if so...post some feedback about it :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:05 PM

I have been using it for about a week. It is a great program and you can't beat the price. :thumbsup:

I almost bought the thing a couple of months ago when it was still called Keyhole and I am really glad I held off doing so. :flowers:

Download it and enjoy. :trumpet:

Ron

Edit: Feedback

It allows you zoom in to a resolution where you can make out individual cars in most metro areas around the world but a lot of rural areas the resolution isn't all that great. The pictures are several years old but you can probably blame security reasons for that. It also has several areas like the grand canyon where you can zoom into it and see it in 3d.

It allows you to see road names, restaurants, 3d representations of the buildings in metro areas and many other things.

It really is a good program but they could make it a lot better by updating the database to a higher resolution everywhere.

It gets three thumbs up from me.

Edited by Ronbo, 30 July 2005 - 04:42 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:34 PM

thanks for the question furntree, gives me a chance to rant a little, lool.
first off let me say that i also like it. it's great for the price. however, i do have one little complaint about it. it's not as good as keyhole used to be. i reckon that for google to make it free they had to reduce some of it's functionality. i don't know if their premium versions are full function or not. doesn't sound like it from what i've read.
when i tried keyhole a long time ago i was able to see high resolution in many areas that aren't available now. namely, my house. i could almost see the furniture in my living room thru the picture window. now i can't even make out the house. this program has the capability of reading license plates and even identifying people. possibly even reading the time on your wristwatch. but i guess one can't expect google to deliver that kind of service for free.
as you probably know , keyhole developed this for the cia. i wonder what the cia is using now, loooool.
here's something humorous i got from a newsletter. two screenshots of apple computer corporate offices. one from google earth and one from msn virtual earth. i guess apple doesn't exist as far as msn is concerned, looooool.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

Ronbo has been hanging around too many toxic waste dumps. :thumbsup:

i could almost see the furniture in my living room thru the picture window. now i can't even make out the house

This is not a bad thing. :flowers:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:45 PM

The MSN Virtual Earth image of Apple is from 1991. I guess those at MS thought, they were making some sort of joke. :thumbsup:

Ronbo - It gets three thumbs up from me.

Leurgy - Ronbo has been hanging around too many toxic waste dumps.

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Scarlett, 30 July 2005 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:04 PM

Ronbo has been hanging around too many toxic waste dumps. :thumbsup:

:flowers:

Just seeing if anybody was paying attention. :trumpet:

That said, I would have to agree with cybormoron. They appear to have reduced some functionality and reading the pitches they give for their premium versions, I am not sure how much,if any you get back. Although it does say in the plus version that it prints at a higher resolution than your screen shows. I suppose they have to make money off of this somehow. :inlove:

Still fun to play with and a good deal for the price though.

Edited by Ronbo, 30 July 2005 - 09:19 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

I showed Google Earth to a friend today and Toronto looks great but the more obscure places (like where I am) had lousy resolution. The shot of our town was 2005 and when we looked at it we agreed it was. He's a manager for the Parks Department so he knows the layout. So do I, I got a Mountain Bike. :thumbsup:

His XP machine almost twisted his arm to change the resolution to 1024X768 so we did, but then put it back to 640x480 cause his eyes are bad.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 UCDEngBoss

UCDEngBoss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:34 PM

At work we purchased the pro version with no better results on the resolution. We regularly buy better quality photos from globeXplorer. If you do not mind their logo on the photo then they are free. Much better quality and you custom choose your area to download.

Are their any other sites where this is possible? I would like to take a look.

#9 WillieK

WillieK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

I've tried it some months ago. It was kinda cool at first but then as with all things new I soon tired of it. I noticed the images were 2-3 yrs old. The magnification resolution was poor quality at close to ground level. In fact you can't get close enough to be of any use. It seemed like that after playing around with it for a bit the download times got longer. This was on a T1 line. On a dial up it is really slow loading images. I think it would be a good thing if I could find a pratical use for it. Thats my take of it.

:thumbsup:

But you said the New Google Earth. Is there a newer version out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users