Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove ccapp.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thaler

thaler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

I often get a notice that ccapp.exe is not responding when I shut down my computer (XP Home). I noticed on this site that ccapp.exe is an undesirable file and should be deleted. However, when I try to delete the file or when I try to terminate the file in Task Manager, I get a message saying access to the file is denied. How do I delete the file?

I see it is a shared file in the Symantec directory. This is not a Symantec file???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

I often get a notice that ccapp.exe is not responding when I shut down my computer (XP Home). I noticed on this site that ccapp.exe is an undesirable file and should be deleted. However, when I try to delete the file or when I try to terminate the file in Task Manager, I get a message saying access to the file is denied. How do I delete the file?

I see it is a shared file in the Symantec directory. This is not a Symantec file???

ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus 2003. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped.

#3 Jaws

Jaws

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hi Thaler,

On the contrary, this file is needed. The file is required and should be allowed to run on startup. It should be left running all the time. Removing it will disable your virus protection.

Symantec’s Common Client Application - CCAPP.EXE

May I suggest you take a look at the program Winpatrol Plus: http://www.winpatrol.com/

The Plus version has a database of known program (both good and bad) that can advise you about the trustworthiness of programs, common errors, if safe to remove or not.

Regards,
Jaws

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hi thaler, :thumbsup: to BC

From the Answers That Work Task List;

Ccapp
ccApp.exe

(Symantec)
Symantec’s Common Client Application for Norton AntiVirus 2003/4/5, Norton Personal Firewall 2003/4/5, and Norton Internet Security 2003/4/5.  This task is, effectively, the “master” task in these products as its role is to call the different program features of the above products.  For example, if Auto-Protect and E-mail Scanning are enabled, then  CCAPP  makes sure that those programs are running.  If  CCAPP  is disabled, then Auto-Protect and Email Scanning will not run.

Recommendation :
Leave well alone – this task is crucial to the proper working of your Norton 2003/4/5 security product.  We recommend, however, that you do a manual  LiveUpdate  every so often in order to pick up software updates (and not just virus definitions updates) as this task has had a few irritating bugs in the past.

As you can see from the above quote and what phatcat has already said, ccapp is crucial to Norton antivirus. Do not try to delete it.

If it makes you feel any better you are not alone with ccapp problems. I also have problems with ccapp shutting down when I shut my computer off every now and then. Just give it a few seconds and it should finally give up the ghost and let windows shut down.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:34 AM

I've had a similar problem recently, googled it, and found that there is some spyware that can also masquerade as ccApp.exe.

Here is the link: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:3kvzyM9...ccApp.exe&hl=en

I am guessing that you need to find the location of the ccApp.exe that is giving the error, and if it is not in a Symantec folder, it's a problem. This might explain why my server was trying to send spam!!!

#6 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

Hi :thumbsup:

You can try this :
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.n..._sch_nam&seg=ag
but unfortunately, it doesn't always seem to work

Another trick is to close ccapp.exe before shutting down the pc or logging out, by using taskmanager tab processes: click ccapp.exe > close process
And log out/shut down the pc then

Good Luck :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users