Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A day in the life of a Microsoft Student Partner

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

I have gotten a few PMs from people asking what a Microsoft Student Partner is. In short, MSPs are "those college students in the United States who have demonstrated strong technical and marketing knowledge of Microsoft technologies, and who willingly share that knowledge and enthusiasm with fellow students through campus groups, clubs, and online communities"

Throughout the school year we give tech talks to student groups, make demonstration videos, help students find cheap or free software, help promote or organize LAN parties, hold workshops, do product release events, etc.

What are the benefits of being a student partner? Lots. We get MSDN accounts which gives us access to all of the Microsoft stack. Depending on your geographical region, student partners get laptops. We get to give away software. We get a certain celebrity status on campus. We use the position to push some our own agendas. I talk about using social media, volunteering, and leadership. I talk to middle school and high school students about technology and science in the hopes of encouraging them to pursue careers in technology. There is a weekly stipend, Last spring I was treated to an all expense paid trip to MIX09, which included lodging at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. We work with Microsoft employees from various departments which gives us a chance to make ourselves known to them. A portion of Student Partners go on to work for Microsoft.

Every spring around April, Microsoft begins the hiring Student Partners for the following school year. Worldwide, there are around 2500 student partners. I am unsure of how many there are in the US. Less than 100. At any rate, if you are going to be a full time college student for the 2010-2011 school year, you might consider applying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

well, I do suppose microsoft provides plenty of job security for those in the role of fixing computers. . .hehe anyway yeah sry couldnt resist. anyway sounds educational at least, if I was going to college might be worth looking at if nothing else then a learning experience. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users