Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS problems / Graphics problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flicksterr

flicksterr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

I'm not entirely sure if the CMOS is to blame for this problem - but it's a start.

About a 1.5 months ago my graphics card died (XFX Geforce 6800). I was waiting for a replacement that never came from the manufacturer, so my computer was left unplugged for atleast a few weeks.

I ended up ordering a BFG 9800 GT as a replacement card about 2 weeks ago.

After installing the new card I was unable to get any picture on the screen. I eventually disconnected every internal component (TV tuner, Wireless card, and sound card) as well as my IDE optical drives and a SATA drive. With just one IDE drive and the graphics card in place I was able to get a picture on the screen which said my CMOS settings had been reset to their defaults.

So in the CMOS setup screen I changed thing back to the way I had them before (IDE HD priority boot) etc. Shut down the computer and reconnect all the internal components. Although all the internals were connected, they were not in they're proper spots (things weren't secured inside the case). I start up the computer and everything works.

Under the impression everything is working. I shut the computer down and disconnect everything so I can route the wires in the case (it's a tight squeeze in a HTPC case). Once everything was reconnected and secure in their respective locations I booted the computer up.

Only to find out that something isn't working properly. Everything 'appears' to be working inside the case, the optical drives open and close, the IDE and SATA drives spool up, the graphics card fan is running, and the lights on the wireless card light up. But I'm not getting any picture on the monitor.

I've spent literally 2 weeks trying to figure out what the problem is. I know the graphics card works, when I unplug everything inside the case, I can get in to the operating system (assuming I pull the internal battery and short out the CMOS to reset everything). I've even had everything hooked up outside of the case and got things working (I was able to download the appropriate drivers from BFG's website).

But once I spent 30 minutes routing wires and securing everything inside the case nothing works.

I apologize for the long post - but I figure a step by step process seems necessary.

BTW: there are no blown capacitors and the internal battery is fully charged.

System specs
AMD X2 Athlong 3800
Gigabyte GA-k8NF-9 motherboard
2gb DDR
650 watt PSU

edit: With regards to the CMOS here's what happens: if I unplug the PSU, remove the battery for 10 minutes, I get the "CMOS reset to defaults" message in DOS. Once I reboot (without removing the battery, unplugging the PSU, etc) I get nothing. That's why I was thinking it had something to do with the CMOS.

Edited by flicksterr, 16 October 2009 - 12:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:41 AM

I am thinking there is a short somewhere. Usually when the computer post fine outside of the case and doesn't inside the case the motherboard is touching something it shouldn't be. Check your standoff locations and check for any solder around the screw holes. Another place it may short out is around USB, VGA, openings.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users