Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Removing a Program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

I was going to remove this program off of my computer, but it didnt have an uninstall program. So I went to "Add/Remove" and it wasnt on the list. I re-intalled it to make sure its still on my computer. Went to back to "Add/Remove" and it wasnt on the list.
I dont dare just "DELETE" it cause that's not good to. So I dont know how to get it off my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:10 PM

I was going to remove this program off of my computer, but it didnt have an uninstall program. So I went to "Add/Remove" and it wasnt on the list. I re-intalled it to make sure its still on my computer. Went to back to "Add/Remove" and it wasnt on the list.
I dont dare just "DELETE" it cause that's not good to. So I dont know how to get it off my computer.

what is the program you are trying to remove? Sometimes the only way to remove the programs that do not have an uninstall yo it is completely delete it.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi can you give info what program you are trying to get off the computer., then we may be able to help you remove it.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

Uhh its this old, "the family DOCTOR, 3rd edition" i dont know if that helps any, but I answered the question so......

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 03:37 AM

Hi thanks for info there is 2 ways to get rid of this old program:
1 Start, then click on Search then files and folders type the name in and let it run, any files that it finds it will come up with, and you can safely delete them.
2 Start Documents click on folders at the top of the index, or my computer click folders, then computer then c drive, then programs and scroll down and any folders you see with the name of the program you are looking for, you can now safely delete it, if it return that it cannot delete it because, it wants the disc or wants to no what program created it then you can leave it as it is empty and just the folder will be there, one point forgot to mention when you click on files and folders in search also click hidden files and folders. once you have removed all traces of file. then do a restore point. so that if ever you have to roll back you can go to that point.

Hope this helps you . :thumbsup:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:39 AM

This happens to me quite often too. :thumbsup:

What I suggest is;

1. Using "My Computer" or "Explorer" go to the folder in "Programs" that contains this program you are trying to delete.

2. Search the program's folder for any file called "Uninst.exe" or "Uninstall.exe"

3. If there is one, double-click on it and an Uninstaller program will launch and remove the program.

4. Afterwards check if the program's folder is still there. If so, delete it.

5. If there is no "Uninst.exe" or "Uninstall.exe" then you can just delete the program's folder.

6. I use a registry cleaner to remove any references to the unwanted program. (Don't remove anything else unless you know what you're doing)

7. Get a plain white envelope

8. Put $10 in and send it to me :flowers: (joking)

At worst, if you incorrectly remove any program, you will have some very small files (dll's etc) left on your system.
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

"If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users