Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boots without video

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rawrb

Rawrb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hi, im kinda new to the forums. I saw you had a couple of similar posts but they were either unresolved or slightly different.

Anyway when I turn on the computer it seems to boot normally but there is no video. I have tried multiple monitors so I know thats not the problem. It has an Geforce card but the mobo also has onboard video, neither works even with the card removed. I had driven down to work on the computer (its my brothers) so I didnt have any real equiptment to test it with, so I brought it to bestbuy.... They told me it was the mobo so I bought a new one, exact same kind and still had the same problem (dont go to bestbuy for help).

I tried swapping out the ram after but that was the extent of tests I could run. Im gonna make another trip with another video card and power supply and test those but I wanted to know if any of you had any guesses as to what might be wrong. No new changes had been made to his comp but he said for about a week before if his computer got bumped it would restart (or turn off I dont really remember).

Thanx in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

You're on the right track. When computers boot with black screens (no video or loss of video) the first things you want to check are the video card and the memory to see if either have failed.

I have a couple of other things you can try:
  • Check to see if the CPU has worked itself loose. This will cause an instant loss of video.
  • Check to see if the LED (known as a "dummy" light) on the motherboard comes on. If it does, then neither the power supply or the motherboard are part of the problem.
  • Check to see if any cables attached to the case have been placed on the wrong jumpers. Since you said the video went out when your friend "bumped" the case, I dont think this will be the problem, but misplaced cables will also cause a loss of video. In order to check for the correct positions, you will need to have access to the motherboard's user manual.
  • If all else fails, connect the same video card in a "known good" system and see what happens.
I had the same problem with NVidia GeForce 9500 cards going dead for no reason and taking down the system with it. Had to replace system memory in addition to video cards.

Also, take note of the beep codes that come out of the system speaker when you turn the computer on. Beep codes (also known as "POST codes" = Power On Self Test) should tell you where to start looking. The codes are specific for each computer manufacturer and motherboard, so make sure you check them based on the system maker and motherboard type.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Only a slight correction on your number two. The dummy light on the motherboard may light but the power supply could still be bad and only supplying enough power to light that LED.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Rawrb

Rawrb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the help, I was able to run some tests on it using parts from my computer. It ended up being the processor. To be honest that was my last guess and in almost all the forums I read this wasnt even considered but anyway.

Returning the mobo and buying a new processor. Kinda wierd seeing as its less than a year old and i dont see how that links to his computer restarting when it got bumped but ohwell. Anyone have any ideas how this might have happened, Iv never heard of this so Im kinda scared that its not really broken. But I swaped them both twice and it booted fine with mine and didnt work at all with his, even though they are the same kind. Anyway, thanx again for the advice.

Edited by Rawrb, 17 October 2009 - 03:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users