Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Black Screen, White Cursor, Even on repair install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hello, I work for a computer repair store and we have seen this problem crop up in the past few weeks about 7-8 times, twice on Vista, but this one is on XP.

I am just curious if anyone has seen this more often latety? We currently have 2 XP machines doing it, which we've tried all new hardware, ghosting to a new hard drive, and even in safe mode, its a black screen with a white cursor. We have tried scanning the drive externally with Panda, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, amoung a couple others.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a new virus that may be causing it, or any other ideas, the weirdest part is while doing a repair install, it will go through the formatting fine, but when it gets to the actually GUI it still does the black screen with white cursor.

I remember an old problem where replacing the userinit file would fix a similar symptom, any other files we could manually try to replace for the logon? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:28 PM

If the white cursor is in the upper left hand corner of the black screen, blinking...then you need to run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

Louis

If it appears on a clean install...I would run a hard drive diagnostic.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Edited by hamluis, 15 October 2009 - 05:30 PM.

#3 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:31 PM

Sorry, shouldve been more specific.. The XP loading screen goes through fine, it is booting off the hard drive, but does not show the blue welcome screen, right after the xp loading screen is done (bar going accross), it will black screen with white cursor. In safe mode it will load the files, then BSWWC.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

I was thinking userinit damage also...but I don't think so because you don't get to the logon screen. Besides, XP seems to kick out error messages when users have userinit problems.

I suppose that you've reseated all RAM modules, video card...checked all connections?

Tried the fixboot command from the Recovery Console? Or bootcfg /rebuild?

Nothing to lose by so doing.

Ghosting doesn't prove anything...especially so if it's a recent one. If it's a file problem or a problem endemic to the file structure (NTFS), it would just move right along to the next drive.

I would do a clean install, it's easier to pinpoint issues from it.

Louis

#5 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, its happened to many computers lately and have tried all new hardware, literally except mobo, and we've tried fixboot and all that. The weirdest part I find is that it does it during a repair install. Fresh install has fixed it everytime so far, but I would like to find a solution so that every BSWWC isn't an instant wipe and reinstall.

#6 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Just tried the bootcfg /rebuild, still the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

#7 johnfrusciante

johnfrusciante
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:09 AM

Update
Replacing the system, sam, default, etc registry files from system restore will allow me back into Windows, but I would still like to find out why this is happening.. anyone seen this lately? Please respond.

#8 coldhandedman

coldhandedman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

I had a customer bring in a system with this issue. It would not let me go into safe mode, last know good or anything. I ran a Hard Drive Diagnostic which showed no bad sectors. I attempted a windows repair which after the first reboot would go back to the black screen.

I ran UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and used a Registry Restore Tool. I restored the system's registry to 3 days before, and restarted the machine.

It came up into windows after that.

I then ran Malwarebytes which found 3 infections (including 1 in the local settings that seemed to be attributed to the registry change)

Before restarting the machine (Because Malwarebytes prompted a restart) I ran CCleaner and cleaned up the Registry and the general applications.

It restarted again and loaded into windows. I ran Spybot which didn't find anything.

Internet Explorer would crash upon opening, so I reinstalled IE8 on the machine. Now it works fine.

So, it sounds like there is a Registry change going on by a Malware/Spyware type infection.

#9 Gwodan21

Gwodan21

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:54 AM

:thumbsup:
Hello -
The description of this problem is not an isolated incident - I have gone through 2 hard drives in two days. The first was already making loud noises, so I just went and got a new drive...
copied my back up over and it booted fine, put it in stanby overnight and when I was back in the next morning something happened to cause the VPU to require re-start (Screen went White, and HD continued to run) and finally I got it to go back to standby - then the system error stated that the VPU required restart, all rendering was now done by software and to re-initalize the VPU I had to reboot - so I did.

I have only gotten to the BlackScreen White Cursor since then.

I installed and ran the UBCD and it was able to boot fine (as was an old HD for a moment) - funny thing was I noticed that I could access the HD's (even the first one that I thought was physically bad) if they were either in the system or connected via USB - so the Drives were fine and data is in tact.

Still haven't been able to get beyond the BSWWC yet - going to complete the tests run above - but sure would like to nail what is causing this.
The other strange thing is that none of the HD's are recognized when connected to another PC. - but when connected to my laptop and booted with UBCD they show up and read-write find ? - I'll let you know how it goes.

Lynne

#10 francesc

francesc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hi I have a similar problem on my xp machine and would like details of how you fixed it.
It started this morning with a crash that may have been caused by a virus when I restarted I got an error that a ntfs.sys was currupt or missing - after trying 100s of things I decided to try to do a repair install of windows.
How ever like you it is just hanging on the black screen when it gets to the GUI. If I restart from here without booting through the windows cd it gets as far as a blue screen that says: 'set up it being restarted' - it then hangs....

Any ideas I really don't want to do a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users