Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm pretty sure I'm infected but no clue with what

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 Irene_

Irene_

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

I would really appreciate help I have had issues with several computers even doing a full reinstall of Vista with a brand new clean install has not helped the disc somehow seems to have been corrupted too as well as everything else I try to run. Something about autorun files and recycler are one of the things I have noticed at times. Antivirus scans don't seem to pick up anything. On going problem for a while on multiple computers (not networked) desperate already. Computer tends to be slow and pause for a second at times freezes and the screen seems to flicker for an instant as if a "picture" of the original screen quickly took over. Websites also seem to be somewhat "off" Lots of issues difficult to explain or maybe its all in my head who knows but I would please appreciate anyone to help me figure out if there is something wrong with it. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hello, let's give these a go.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

I need you to do this so we can tell exactly what you have here.
Please search your drive for ctfmon.exe
Next upload the file(s) to Virus Total
Post their reply here,thanks.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thank you for your quick response well I downloaded the program double clicked and got a message saying it may have not installed properly to try again or if I was sure it was downloaded properly to continue I chose to continue and nothing happened. After I tried opening it again nothing would happen. I deleted it and downloaded again still nothing finally got the same message again and chose the other option to retry and still nothing. I am unable to run the program at all. Any other ideas? Should I continue with the Virus Total file anyways? I found the ctfmon in the system32 folder and also the syswow64 folder. Thank you

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

Yes move to Virustotal.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ok I uploaded them both and they appear to be the same thing posted both of them anyways.

MD5: 22bfd03df51065a9ed8d17f8fb72296b
First received: 2009.02.13 08:40:32 UTC
Date: 2009.10.10 21:37:56 UTC [>5D]
Results: 0/41
Permalink: analisis/ce84699449ba15c6868f96f6a51515c008ad9b3c2b36befd95b09bd0b4a55d1e-1255210676

MD5: 22bfd03df51065a9ed8d17f8fb72296b
First received: 2009.02.13 08:40:32 UTC
Date: 2009.10.10 21:37:56 UTC [>5D]
Results: 0/41
Permalink: analisis/ce84699449ba15c6868f96f6a51515c008ad9b3c2b36befd95b09bd0b4a55d1e-1255210676

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

I am hoping this will run.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.

alternate download link

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Edited by boopme, 17 October 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#7 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:57 AM

Ok I was able to run MBAM successfully just a note for fyi it never showed me the option to update before scanning. However I tried to manually update by clicking on the tab and it said it was up to date already. Also to make sure I was going to check that manual update link you gave me and when I clicked on it I got an error 404 not found mbam-rules.exe not found. After that I ran the scan successfully and it did request a restart and here is the log of what it found:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2976
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

10/17/2009 10:45:46 AM
mbam-log-2009-10-17 (10-45-46).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 77228
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#8 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

I was wondering as I mentioned before I have had the same issue ongoing on multiple PC's is it advisable to attempt to follow these same steps on each or should I just do one computer at a time individually guided step by step?

Also just information of a current problem to perhaps help in figuring out what its doing or not. I recently downloaded the Microsoft Security Essentials about a day or two ago (not sure if that was a good idea or not previously had the windows one live care) which like everything else always says its clean. I tried to run the update on it today and it is not able to giving me error code 0x80248014.

Thank you

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

OK, thanks I've fixwd the link. Yes run the tools on all machines. If you need to post logs.. label the logs PC 1/2/3 etc,,
What Antivirus were you running .. One Care??

We will n eed to run these next.. Any improvement you can tell yet?

Next run ATF and SAS:
Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware

, Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you

should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

#10 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Ok finally got a chance to do this. Well as for the program I'm using it was One Care but now I have changed it to Microsoft Security Essentials not sure if thats any good or not though. Unfortanately still not really noticing any change in my computer though except maybe after these last instructions the display may look slightly different perhaps smaller font but not sure though. Here is the log for the last instructions you gave me.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 10/19/2009 at 05:31 PM

Application Version : 4.29.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 4174
Trace Rules Database Version: 2093

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:37:46

Memory items scanned : 136
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 4105
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 89764
File threats detected : 4

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Irene\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\irene@ads.monster[2].txt
C:\Users\Irene\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\irene@myaccounts.navyfcu[1].txt
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@2o7[1].txt
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\system@2o7[1].txt

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hello, let's do 2 more things here and see.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.

Edited by boopme, 20 October 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#12 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

Hi ok running the scans now here is the MBAM not showing anything though. Still need to do the other one. Also just fyi another thing that is strange that is going on with the pc is my yahoo is redirected to m.www.yahoo. Just trying to give you some examples of things its doing as I notice or remember them to try to help in figuring out what the problem might be. I'll try to run the other scan soon. Thank you

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3000
Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2

10/20/2009 12:35:25 PM
mbam-log-2009-10-20 (12-35-25).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 78144
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Hi Irene, appears we will need to look for rootkits also anyway so this is next.
We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

#14 Irene_

Irene_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ok tried to run Root Repeal and I'm getting an error saying it does not support 64 bit OS's any other way to try to run it?

Another thing of info I'm not sure what it means to run in virtualization mode or if it might matter or not but several of my programs in the task manager seem to be such as Superantispyware, FlashUtil10c and iexplore

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

This ARK should work in 64....

Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users