Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi Everyone,

I never use to have any problems with my computer starting up but the last few times I have started it, it has hung at a certain spot for about 2 minutes. After the Windows logo comes up showing the bar that scrolls it goes to the black screen and hangs there for about 2 minutes before going to the Welcome to Windows screen and it use to only stay at that spot for about 20 seconds.

I had only installed one program within the last few weeks, and the first few reboots after installing that program were normal, but I uninstalled it anyway just in case and it made no difference at all. I also did a System Restore to a date I believe was before this problem started and that made no difference either.

There have been no other changes made to the system, there are no new startup items and once it loads everything runs normally.

I have ran my ZoneAlarm virus program, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, all of which came up clean. Device manager shows no problems.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this problem?

Thanks to everyone who can help

Edited by Stang777, 15 October 2009 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Hold on, I think I may have figured it out, have to run to work now and will check my theory when I get back, just didn't want anyone wasting time trying to help if I have it figured out. I will post back and let you guys know if I fixed it or still need help, thanks anyway

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Well, I did not have it figured out. I thought that maybe something funky had happened with my antivirus program since the computer loads fine into safe mode and the antivirus program does not load in safe mode, but that wasn't it.

Even with the antivirus program removed, the startup process will usually hang for 2-5 minutes at the spot described above.

If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this problem, please let me know.

Thanks

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

Did you try running chkdisk maybe your hard drive is acting up?

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 October 2009 - 01:34 AM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:42 AM

Thank you for replying and trying to help sleepwalker. I have not tried that yet, thought about but since everything runs great after it finally loads and the fact that usually when there is a problem that requires checkdisk, it runs on its own at startup, I have not done it.

I was thinking of trying that but since you suggested it, I will absolutely do that.

I am running another virus scan since I just reinstalled the program and because there was something funky going on with it before I uninstalled it (the control panel for it was opening rather strangely) and when it finishes I will run checkdisk.

Thank you very much for your help

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

I think I'd give bootcfg /rebuild a shot, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980.

Louis

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

I gave checkdisk a shot, but it found no problems.

Thank you Louis, I will check out that link after I get home from work tonight. For now I need to get some sleep. I have been messing with this all night, to no avail. I hope whatever that link tells me to do is something I can actually do and will be the fix for it, I am out of ideas completely and am baffled so I really appreciate the help.

Edited by Stang777, 16 October 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well, I was too curious to not check it out before going to sleep, if I understand it correctly, you think I should rebuild the boot.ini file using the recovery console. I have never used that so I hope it is something I can do easily. the below is a copy of my boot.ini, it does not seem to have changed...

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Does that look right to you and should I still try to rebuild it?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Rebuild it, no harm can result from doing such.

Damaged files never appear to be damaged, unless it is to Windows.

Of course, if you don't want to attempt it, it's your choice. Just telling you what I would try.

Louis

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

Oh, ok. I am willing to attempt it and I appreciate you telling me what you would try. I am just a little nervous because I have never used the recovery console before but I will give it a shot tonight.

Btw, I have found that it does not hang every time, sometimes it boots up normally, but more often than not, it does hang, and once in a while it does not boot at all, I have to restart it once or twice before it will load all the way. When it stops, it always stops at that same place.

Thanks again for your help

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

Have you run a diagnostic on your hard drive?

Chkdsk is a good utility...for certain things...but it's not the equivalent of any hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic when it comes to detection of problems with the drive.

Louis

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

Yes, it is a Western Digital hard drive so I ran the Western Digital hard drive test and it passed both the quick and extended tests.

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

i think i would look at the ram next. test by removing all and boot with one at a time. alternately you can run memtest86

Edited by caperdog, 16 October 2009 - 05:20 PM.

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

To make sure I understand, to rebuild the boot.ini I just put the Windows XP disk in, select recovery console, then select boot menu and type bootcfg /rebuild, is that correct?

And am I correct that there is no way I can mess that up and make things worse?

(Yes, you can call me chicken)

Caperdog, thank you for the help and suggesting Memtest, if all else fails, I guess I will end up doing that but I really do not see any signs of ram being bad cause after it finally loads Windows, everything runs great.

The ONLY problem my computer has is getting past that one spot when booting

Thank you everyone for your help, if anyone has any other ideas, please share them, it will probably be a couple of days before I have time to do much

Edited by Stang777, 17 October 2009 - 01:14 AM.

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

Since I am a major chicken about using the recovery console, and a bit pressed for time right now, I was just wondering if this idea I had might work instead.

I have a backup copy of the boot.ini from a time when my computer was booting normally, is it possible to just replace the current boot.ini with that copy and have it do the same thing as using the rebuild command from recovery console?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users