Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Protection??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Trevrev

Trevrev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

Good evening people,
My Anti-virus is due for renewing. I'm currently running Norton anti virus 2009.
Any tips on anything better !!! Norton has let quite a few things through this year, and i'm sure it makes my PC run slower.
People keep on to me about running the free version of AVG. Is this a good idea??
Any advice would be very very grateful.......
Thank you...Trevor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

Take a look here Trevrev: Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps. :thumbsup:

#3 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hello Trevor,
Untill some of the experts finds a time to respond,here are my experience.
Im not sure about Norton but Im sure about the folllowing:
It is much better and easier to prevent,then to heal.
First,go to grc.com and learn to enable DEP-data execution prevention, on your pc,to protect all of your data,not only the important ones.Study a litle bit what Steve Gibson,the owner of grc.com, and well known security gury, says about security.Run Shieldsup! and let them test more than 1200 ports of your pc for vulnerability.
Keep UAC-user account control on all the time-its your friend.
Download and install Win Patrol,an free and esential protection for a pc.It will silently run in the background and and monitor all processes inside your pc.If any changes is about to happened,Win Patrol will display notification and ask do you approve or not this change!
Then just Google and see the rewiews of the antivirus software.This site has a list of Freeware Replacements so you will not need to spend money.
Well,as a doctor,I know how important is to prevent a disease.For this reason I advice my patients to take multivitamins to make their imune sistem stronger,thus preventing an infections to happened in the first place.The same functions for the pc health has,besides Win Patrol,a program called Spywareblaster.It will make another shield arond your pc and prevent infections!
Of course,many antivirus programs have a real time protection.
It is up to you to decide how many layers of protection do you need.Choose an option where you will feel safe.
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#4 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for your feed back guys, I've been pondering over purchasing AVG this time.
But after going through some of the threads on the subject, i just can't make up my mind !!!! :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

I like Avira... (just a subtle nod) :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:54 AM

Norton AV is very good, but if you were not implementing and safe computer practices then any software is useless no matter how good.

If you don't want to pay for Norton AntVir, Avast and Microsoft Security Essentials are all great choices. I personally prefer MSE because of the simplicity, reasonable detection rates and low false positive rates.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

I generally advise against Symantec and Norton products. Not because they are ineffective but because they are bloated and will slow down your computer. I prefer and recommend Avast! Antivirus. The home edition is free, very effective, and doesn't consume gobbs of resources.

#8 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:29 AM

I keep hearing about free anti-virus. I've always purchased my products assuming that i would get more protection.
It's true! Norton does slow down your system quite alot, hence the reason i'm looking else where.
It's a mine field though. :thumbsup:

#9 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:25 AM

I generally advise against Symantec and Norton products. Not because they are ineffective but because they are bloated and will slow down your computer.

Have you even tried the Norton 2009 products?

#10 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

Apart from Norton on my PC i also have Superanti spyware (Free) and Maleware bytes (Free). I run scans with these every weekend.
Will, these programmes conflict with my Norton??

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

Paid does not equal quality nor does free equal lack thereof. Some of the best programs out there are free, and many are Open Source.

I have never used a paid security product on any computer I had control over and have remained infection free on those machines. On other computers, such as those at my former workplace, where they had "Enterprise-level commercial" protection programs installed (Symantec), I cannot make that same claim.

As I said, commercial programs, like Symantec's, are not bad, but they do have a bad tendency to heap feature after feature into the newest version, rather than make incremental improvements that are less noticeable, in order to justify making people pay for the "latest and greatest!". This is called "feature creep" and makes programs slower, less efficient, and more prone to errors; it is certainly not specific to commercial programs but is, in my opinion, more prevalent there.

Most non-open source but free security programs, like Avast! also come in "professional" versions that include extra bells and whistles. Among the bells added to Avast Professional is the ability to schedule regular scans and a nifty-looking interface. The free version detects all the same badies as the paid version, it's just missing a few extras.

Another problem I have with programs like those from Symantec, McAffee, et al, is that they try to be your all-in-one security suite. They usually include a software firewall, virus scanner, spyware scanner, web browsing filter, and lots of other features. This is yet another example of feature creep, at least in my opinion. Also, I think it's wise to cultivate a heterogeneous array of security programs to reduce the possibility of an error in one program or facet of a full suite affecting the other parts.

For example, I use Avast as my anti-virus. It scans files as I access them and monitors my web browsing to intercept bad files before they're even downloaded. I also have Comodo Firewall (also free) as my firewall. It monitors ingoing and outgoing network connections and only permits connections that I have already approved. For my anti-spyware defenses I use Spybot Search& Destroy and Adware Free (both free). They scan for (and SB S&D proactively prevents some) spyware. I also check the MD5 hash1 of any file I download against VirusTotal's database.On top of this I run Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock Plus.

There ain't nothing gonna get through all that2, and I didn't spend a dime. :thumbsup:

1 Disclosure: I wrote this program
2 I know, never be too confident.

#12 Trevrev

Trevrev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Andrew, Interesting reading. :thumbsup:

#13 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:20 AM

Paid does not equal quality nor does free equal lack thereof. Some of the best programs out there are free, and many are Open Source.

I agree.

But have you tried the Norton 2010 software? If not, how can you say they are "bloated and will slow down your computer"?

As I said, commercial programs, like Symantec's, are not bad, but they do have a bad tendency to heap feature after feature into the newest version, rather than make incremental improvements that are less noticeable, in order to justify making people pay for the "latest and greatest!". This is called "feature creep" and makes programs slower, less efficient, and more prone to errors; it is certainly not specific to commercial programs but is, in my opinion, more prevalent there.

But if the features really are useful in protection, then what's wrong with it?
Not to mention the OP was using Norton AV, not the suite, which has less "feature creep".

Another problem I have with programs like those from Symantec, McAffee, et al, is that they try to be your all-in-one security suite. They usually include a software firewall, virus scanner, spyware scanner, web browsing filter, and lots of other features. This is yet another example of feature creep, at least in my opinion. Also, I think it's wise to cultivate a heterogeneous array of security programs to reduce the possibility of an error in one program or facet of a full suite affecting the other parts.

IMHO, some of these features are very useful, particularly for average users.

There ain't nothing gonna get through all that2, and I didn't spend a dime. :thumbsup:

That's true, but you probably wouldn't have got infected even without those programs. But most normal computer users who need protection will probably want a simple solution, not something more complex such as Comodo.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

But have you tried the Norton 2010 software? If not, how can you say they are "bloated and will slow down your computer"?

Nope. With me you only get one chance at a first impression. Screw that up and I'm unlikely to give you a second chance.

But if the features really are useful in protection, then what's wrong with it?
Not to mention the OP was using Norton AV, not the suite, which has less "feature creep".

Nothing wrong with it per se, but as I said a heterogeneous security environment is more robust, IMHO.

IMHO, some of these features are very useful, particularly for average users.

Probably...

That's true, but you probably wouldn't have got infected even without those programs. But most normal computer users who need protection will probably want a simple solution, not something more complex such as Comodo.

Comodo is complex? Since when? :flowers:

Without those programs I would have been infected numerous times over. I may be smart enough to know better but I'm also just dumb enough not to realize that I'm smart enough to know better. :thumbsup:

#15 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:21 AM

Nope. With me you only get one chance at a first impression. Screw that up and I'm unlikely to give you a second chance.

Of course, to each his own. However, might I respectfully suggest that if you haven't tried Norton for years, then perhaps you should not make claims about it to other users, particularly when it is in contrast to various tests/reviews.

Comodo is complex? Since when? :flowers:

Um... for average computer users like the typical 'mom and pop' users?

Without those programs I would have been infected numerous times over. I may be smart enough to know better but I'm also just dumb enough not to realize that I'm smart enough to know better. :thumbsup:

So Avast has actually detected numerous malware on your computer? Are you a high risk user by any chance?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users