Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transferring software licenses to new computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chris6690

chris6690

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

My old laptop is in the grips of a hardware meltdown. before it goes nuclear i want to get the harddrive out and save the data. i have a lot of very expensive software for school and work, many of which required me to purchase expensive licenses. Is it possible to transfer them to my new computer without the original cd's since most of it was downloaded from my schools servers? iv been told i might be able to run them via booting from the HD but i dont want to carry an external HD everywhere i go?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 15 October 2009 - 09:29 PM.
Mod edit: Moved to more appropriate forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:36 PM

Whether and how licenses can be transferred between machines is entirely dependent on the software company and its policies as well as the terms of the license.

Most legit software companies have some method of allowing a user to transfer their licenses to another machine, though the particulars differ between companies and even between products from the same company.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you purchased the software as a student, you may have gotten a different license than other users. Many companies provide "student" editions for qualified students at a reduced cost. However these licenses usually come with extra restrictions and may even expire when you cease to be a student.

I would encourage you to pose these questions to the manufacturers of the programs.

(Another possibility is to use a program like Application Mover. As far as I know, Application Mover can only move applications from one folder to another on the same install of Windows as it already resides. However you may be able to find a local guru who can work his heavy magic with it.)

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

Belarc Advisor might be able to provide you with the license keys you need, but you will have to reinstall the programs to your new harddrive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users