Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reimaging/deleting all files..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ric43224

Ric43224

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

I currently have two computer systems ( my old windows 98 computer and a computer that my neighbor gave me which have issues). I would like to have access to someone telling me how to navigate a fix. My computer locks up on bootup. I would like to reimage and give to my freind who is losing her sight to use -she had to stop working due to maccular degeneration. She could use it for email with some of the accessibility features and her magnafying instruments. I can not get the bugs worked out of that unit-- It is a Presario.

My neighbor gave me his old HP Brio computer which was used for his business. He set it up with security access and an ethernet connection. How do I wipe everthing off the system and reinstall windows 98? When I attempt to reinstall win 98 it tells me it has a newer verson on the sytem and will not allow me to install. I want to wipe the system clean and restart. How do I do that? I wanted to give this unit to my parents to play around with so they could use internet to email me, etc.

I also do not know how to change the settings from intranet/ethernet to regular moden dial up PC. I tried to install my People PC program install disk and it will not allow me to do so it tells me there is an issue with the port when it tries to access the modem. I added an intermal modem card in addition to keeping the ethernet card in. Do I need to remove the ethernet card?

Also, my parents are retired, on a fixed income and I was wondering if there are any free ISP options for them that would not requrie a long distance dial up. They live in Pennsylvania in a rural area and the services there (even dial up) require a long distance fee to dial in. They live in the 17978 zip code area / 570 area code. I would love to locate a dial up 800 -free/access ISP if one were available. Is there such a thing? I know we can get hotmail for them for free.. it is the ISP that I do not have to resolve.

Thanks for your help! I am truly a novice trying to develop my skills.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

It sounds as though you are trying to reformat.
The easiest way will be to use a bootdisk and FDisk to wipe the drive then reinstall the operating system.

How to create a bootdisk:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q187632/

How to use FDisk:
http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page2.htm

If the Modem & Ethernet cards are external PCIA cards then yes remove them to install the OS.
If they are internal then you can leave them in.

Let us know if this doesn't answer your questions.

<<edit>>
As for the internet server you can check with company's like:
Netzero
Eathlink
SBC Yahoo Dialup
AOL
A lot of times these company's offer local dialup numbers for these smaller communities.

Edited by River_Rat, 30 July 2005 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users