Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which is best linux and unix?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 melinacorbett

melinacorbett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hi friends,
i am a student. I have core 2 duo with 3GB DDR2 RAM. I want to know which operating system is best for internet and from virus protection. If anyone knows about it please tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Ubuntu is a good place to start. It strives to be new user friendly. You can try the Live CD out before installing it to see if you'll like it. There are no known "wild" viruses (active viruses currently on the internet) for Linux (due to the design of the OS) security issues are usually patched quickly.

Posted Image

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

Personally, I've always liked the KDE desktop over Gnome, so I have been using Kubuntu for a while - which is Ubuntu with a fancier desktop. In the past, I've used a lot of distros, suSe, Red Hat, Mandrake, and I've tried lots of things.

Recently, I got a netbook. I decided to go Kubuntu on that and am not as happy with it as I was on the desktop because it's going to take some tweaking. I have an odd-sized screen and it doesn't quite fit, the touchpad works but feels a bit fast, and so on. But it all does work. I had a bit of a problem hooking to my encrypted wifi until I realized that it wanted me to put in the hex key in a second window as well as the first, and it's connected fine ever since.

Anyway, it works fine on the desktop. I find Ubuntu to be too simple on the surface. It's powerful underneath but is difficult to get used to. Kubuntu is more Windows-like with things in the usual places.

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

i think Gnone looks better then kde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users