Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worst PC in America!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

Worst PC in America!
Do you own a bad PC? A really, really bad one? It might be bad because it’s antiquated, in ramshackle condition, overwhelmed with a desktop full of junky software, or just plain ugly–or maybe all of the above.

Well, if you do, today might be your lucky day–they are looking for the worst computer in the country. And when they find it–or at least the worst one possessed by someone who enters their contest–they will give its owner a truly nifty new PC, the HP Envy 13, courtesy of HP.
by Harry McCracken
Convince Harry that your PC is the worst PC in the U.S. & win a new laptop.

Attention, computer owners! Some of you own some really lousy PCs–either ones that were dogs in the first place, or which have gotten so roughed up over time that they're just plain sad. Maybe most of these machines aren't in active use–I sure hope not–but if they aren't, they're lurking in closets and attics across this great nation. I just know it.

And they want to hear about them, since the one type of computer more memorable than a great one is a bizarrely terrible one. Here's your incentive to spill your guts: Courtesy of HP, they will pick a winner from among all people who tells them about their bad PCs–and that person will receive HP's extremely slick, feature-laden Envy 13 notebook as a prize. (Thanks to HP for providing it.)

The Envy is less than an inch thick and weighs 3.74 pounds. It includes:

* Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)
* Intel Core 2 Duo Processor SL9600 (2.13 GHz)
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330 Graphics
* 13.1″ HD LED Infinity WS Display (1600 by 900) with 82 percent color gamut and 8 millisecond response time
* 250 GB (5400RPM) hard drive, 5GB DDR3 SDRAM
* Blu-Ray drive
* 4-cell Li-Ion Battery
* Webcam

HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NeonJediKnight

NeonJediKnight

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:09 AM

If read any of that correctly it says something about HP comps being lousy. My last machine was a HP and a hunk o' junk it was. Died on me in 2 years(see my intro thread for the real reasons why) It was an a535w, a really "budget"($1,000?!) plain jane model, but still. Biggest gripe was when I set it up and mesmerized by the useless, and what I now know as crapware and bloatware which I uninstalled myself.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

Edited by tg1911, 18 October 2009 - 08:41 AM.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

hey ive never had an issue with any HP machine ive ever used but anyway. Id say anycomputer with windows installed is junk. oh wait, did I say that? is bill gates watching. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

Generalizations like this regarding HP really aren't helpful.

I have a past client who had around 15 HP PCs working over 8 hours a day in a business environment for years and haven't had any problem specific to HP.

Not that the worst PC in America couldn't be an HP that meets the requirements:

...bad because it’s antiquated, in ramshackle condition, overwhelmed with a desktop full of junky software, or just plain ugly–or maybe all of the above.

Heck, with that definition, the "Worst PC" could be a MAC!

Oh, the irony!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

Dear Sir or Madam, I beleive i have the worst comp in america, it just crashes all the time, forever lets me down when engaging in programming, servicing issues, registry issues all the time, constantly fills up with junk all the time, and has a load of this junk on it called microsoft, and cost a bloody fortune to sort out, do i win the competition !
Yours Sincerely Mr William Gates. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by doinmeedin, 22 October 2009 - 04:55 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

ROTFL

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Net_Surfer

Net_Surfer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:07 AM

By Harry McCracken

Update!!!

There is a winner for the worst pc in America.! :thumbsup:

Nineteen machines you're really glad you don't own.

Some PCs are born crummy. Some achieve crumminess. And some have crumminess thrust upon them. Those are my conclusions after judging our Worst PC in America contest, in which we asked you to tell us about really rotten personal computers–with the lure of a snazzy HP Envy 13 laptop to be awarded to the most outstandingly awful entry. Herewith, some highlights lowlights, including both once-decent machines that have fallen upon hard times and some systems that were kind of terrible and/or just plain odd from the get go.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall

Yes, the worst PC in America is a Mac–the one belonging to Reynaldo Rivera, who won our contest and will be receiving the HP Envy 13.

In 2006, when it was new, this MacBook Pro was arguably one of the best PCs in America. Now it’s missing its screen (and some keys), its trackpad and Superdrive don’t work, it has a mouse that’s held together with duct tape–and best of all, its video display is a 13-inch standard-definition TV, which it’s connected to using a vintage Curtis Mathes VCR as an intermediary. Oh, and the machine failed altogether while Reynaldo was preparing his entry. Did I mention he’s being using a well-worn copy of Dante’s Inferno as a mousepad?

Worst PCs in America--MacBook Pro

Another headless wonder

I’d never even seen one laptop sans screen, but two showed up for this competition. Derek Powell’s Asus is in marginally better condition than the prize-winning MacBook Pro; it sort of works, once it gets through running CHKDSK. In this photo, it almost looks like it’s meant to be used this way–like a very, very low-profile desktop computer with a built-in keyboard.

Worst PCs in America--Asus
Other machines you're really glad you don't own.

[This post is excerpted with Harry's permission from his Technologizer blog.]

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Yes, the worst PC in America is a Mac

:thumbsup:

Did they read my earlier post in this thread?

Can't wait to see the new commercial -

"Hi, I'm a PC."

"And I'm a Mac, the worst PC in America."

:flowers:

Edited by JohnWho, 29 October 2009 - 08:52 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

My favorite, particularly the video: :thumbsup:
Air supply
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users