Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File location confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 prosperve

prosperve

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:51 AM

I save all my work to a folder named "Alex". It contains sub folders for different things including correspondence, photographs, music etc. This folder appears at the top of the right hand side of the Start menu.

If I go to open a file through this short, cut a window appears giving the "tree" of folders and files and across the top is the full description of the file location beginning >Alex>......>filename.

However, if I highlight the file, right click and open properties, its location is described as C:/User/User/filename.

Also if I double click on the computer short cut on the right hand side of the Start menu, I get a window showing the partitions of the hard drive (OS (C:) and RECOVERY (D:)) ad the DVD RW Drive (E:). Opening OS (C:) I find folder for DELL, Drivers, Program files etc and Users. Opening Users I find Public, User and User two. User contains all the folders and files in my Alex folder.

Why do my files have alterative location names? Can I simplify it to just C:/Alex/..... What is the normal practice?

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thank you
Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:11 AM

Vista uses a number of basic Folders one of which is Users inside which it holds a folder for each user account and for PUBLIC folders - in your case Alex is one of these user accounts.
Each User Account will have its own SET of basic folders.
Suggest you Right Click on START and open EXPLORE and OPEN ALL USERS reduce your C: drive down to its basic folders and have good look at them to get an idea of the structure.
I wouldn't try changing anything - just get used to the structure and accept as normal.

#3 prosperve

prosperve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

Thank you. I thought I had messed up the settings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users