Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen at startup and in Safe mode.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kubush

Kubush

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:36 AM

Serious problem here. I have searched all over the internet and no one seems to have the same problem. I have a Sony Vaio desktop with a Samsung lcd monitor. Whenever I boot up the computer, for the most part I see nothing but a black screen (there is power in the monitor). Sometimes it will flash the display and then go back to black. In normal startup mode, once windows starts loading the problem goes away but the problem I have now is that I used Selective startup to start in Safe Mode (to get rid of a virus; the virus is not affecting this because I had this problem prior to the infection), and when I am in Safe Mode the same problem comes back. I would say even worse then at the start up; it just stays black. Every time I restart, it reboots into safemode and I can't do/see anything.

How can I boot up back into normal mode (essentially doing it blind)? Is it possible to run a command in the command prompt to restart into normal mode???

I think this might be a harddrive problem because I think I began to see the symptoms after I installed a new hard drive and rearranged partitions. But I find it very odd that it works fine once windows starts up (in normal mode) but has a problem pre-start up and in safe mode.

Please help!

Moved to more appropriate forum~MG

Edited by garmanma, 15 October 2009 - 10:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and hit the enter key.

Does the General tab have Normal Startup selected?

Also, check the Boot.ini tab and see if any Boot Options are selected.

Hope this helps. Good uck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users