Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from 98 to xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inspector1

Inspector1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

I got a dell pc from a freind with windows 2000 and I had a gateway pc that came with widows 98. I Installed the gateway restoration kit and the software that came with the gateway.It has been working just fine for what I needed. But now that the 98 is unsupported I needed to up grade to at least xp. So my freind gave me a windows xp pro w/ service pack 2 disk w/ the code numbers . I stuck it into the cd drive and It does'nt do any thing but put up this stupid flashlight that can't find it's way and my curser freezes. I have tried to boot up in safe mode nothing. what do I do? I would appreciate any help , and if not this computer is going swimming real soon. Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:13 AM

:thumbsup:

You could have a read of a similar thing here whilst waiting, it may help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258295/want-to-switch-from-98-to-xp/

:flowers:

#3 Inspector1

Inspector1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hey, Thanx for tour reply. I got to the point where the computer was supposed to say,press any key to boot from CD hit any key to proceed.and It did'nt do that it said to place diskette into drive a:/ . then I ctrl alt deleted and hit del. and it took me back to where I was.So I checked to make sure that the disk drive was still running first before the hard drive and that the right master or slave connection was chosen. I tried a whole bunch of different combo's and nothing. The computer is a dell dimention l 933 r but the 2 256 mb memory sticks and the video card came from my old gateway. Hell it did'nt matter anyway they were built the same year. So do I punt this thing into the lake or WHAT ?

Thx again Chuck,

Edited by Inspector1, 25 October 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

Did you go into the BIOS and change the first boot device to the CD drive and not the A: drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Inspector1

Inspector1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

yes I did , and I put in this order cd drive,Ide-hdd, armd-hdd,armd-fdd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users