Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:43 AM

I have a 5 year old HP laptop computer that has started showing lines across the monitor and after a while the screen goes black. I hooked it to another monitor that works and it did the same thing. My question is, I have a integrated video card that is bad so is it possible to hook up a external video card say to a usb port and change the settings in the bios to use it to avoid having to replace the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:07 AM

i believe their is no usb video card
you will have to buy a new internal (post your mother board model and we can find out what works with your computer)

do remeber that if the onboard card is dying then the mother board may be dying or may die in time

EDIT:
their seems their is usb video cards

am not sure how they work but and not sure if you can tell the bios to make it display thourgh the usb card

Edited by starcraftmaster, 15 October 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#3 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

Thanks starcraftmaster, I was just wondering if anyone on the board has ever done a repair of this nature (replacing bad internal video chip with pcmcia or usb video card) and what the results were. Thanks to any and all replies.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Chances are if its 5 years old you can find a good used motherboard. Maybe cheaper then the external video adapter. Personally I have never used an external graphics adapter, I have used an external audio adapter with great success.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users