Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to the internet.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Roger.

Roger.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hello everyone, I have a laptop (not the computer that I am using) that runs Vista Home basic, service pack 2. This laptop tells me that it is connected to my wireless router. The icon with the two computers and the globe in the bottom right IS active. However, when I open internet explorer it tells me this: "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page". Then, It offers the vista network diagnostic tool (Which tells me that everything is dandy).

First thing I do is restart my laptop, sometimes that fixes things for some reason. It didn't fix anything. Then I tried to run my Norton 360. Norton 360 isn't working!!!! Why won't it run? Now things are getting fishy, I suspect there is a virus on my laptop. Because of this suspicion I try many things to get Norton working. Run as administrator, clicked the Icon a million times, nothing. So then, I tried attacking the virus from a different way. I downloaded AVG installer onto a 2gb flash drive, plugged it into my laptop, but unfortunately the installation offers a out-of-date virus database. So it scanned the whole computer and found nothing.

That is my problem, those are the steps I have taken, please help. Thanks! - Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger.

Roger.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

Anyone?

#3 Roger.

Roger.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

UPDATE: I have been looking at the regular flow of posts. I downloaded MalwareBytes to my 2gb flash drive, and installed it on my laptop. At first It would not allow a definitions update. Then, I rebooted the laptop in safe mode. I opened malwarebytes and clocked the update tab, and it updated a couple of versions. It is now running a full scan and it has detected an infection.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

UPDATE: I have been looking at the regular flow of posts. I downloaded MalwareBytes to my 2gb flash drive, and installed it on my laptop. At first It would not allow a definitions update. Then, I rebooted the laptop in safe mode. I opened malwarebytes and clocked the update tab, and it updated a couple of versions. It is now running a full scan and it has detected an infection.

Hi Roger,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Were you able to get Norton 360 working correctly or do you still need assistance? Also, what infections did Malwarebytes detect, and was it able to remove them?

You will experience software conflicts if you install any other real-time security software alongside Norton 360, such as AVG. If you had even a partial install of AVG, I would strongly recommend that you run their removal utility, restart your computer and then run LiveUpdate from within Norton 360 to make sure you have the latest patches and definitions applied. Also, what version of Norton 360 do you have installed?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users