Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Router Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Endorphine

Endorphine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I've recently purchased a Dual Band N Netgear router and it works... for the most part.

On one laptop, When you go to connect to the router, It'll say Netgear wireless N

then on all the other computers in my house it says Netgear wireless G
I'm sure all the computers are able to connect to and use the N speed just fine
My desktop has a N adapter and it'll still come up as G.

My Router Model is: Netgear Rangemax™ Duo Wireless N Router WNDR3300

Also, Another issue is that a lot of the time, We'll all get disconnected from the router for no reason at all and it'll do this 5 - 8 times in a row before it stops. I've been trying to fix this problem and I cannot seem to figure it out.. so I came here for help.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Dustin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:22 PM

As far as the network adapter, you might have to go in and select N. Since you have a dual band router.

When you lose connection does the wireless icon by the clock have a red X by it? or does the router just lose connection to the net? look at the lights one should be labeled Internet/WAN.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Endorphine

Endorphine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

I'll try and figure out how to select N

and yeah, I get the red X then it'll reconnect after about 30 seconds

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:57 AM

In looking into this a bit more I found this 7 page post where many have the same issue you have and aren't getting any satisfaction from Netgear. Have a little read. If you just bought it, my advice after reading these posts would be take it back and look for a different brand.

If you don't want to give up on it, break out the manual and look for how you find your firmware version. Then look on the support site for that router and see if they have an updated one. Even if you just bought it, you have no idea how long it was sitting on the retail shelf before you bought it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users