Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken USB Port

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iamz3r0

iamz3r0

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:46 PM

I have a broken USB port, and it's onboard. It's fried, and every once in awhile my computer wants to use the port, and restarts (because it shorts?). I'm trying to find SOME way to stop this from happening without having to physically remove it, which would require soldering. I don't want to risk damaging the computer more than it already is.

I've tried uninstalling it, but that doesn't seem to work. I can't disable it in the BIOS without disabling all 4 USB ports. There's no option to disable a single hub.

System:

V2 Premier
Windows XP Professional SP3
2 Onboard "AMP" USB Hubs (2 Ports Each, one hub physically damaged and non-working)

Edited by iamz3r0, 14 October 2009 - 05:02 PM.

!@#$ this! I'm getting Windows 7, and if that doesn't work, a Mac!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

If you inspect the port and find one or more of the four gold contacts is bent sideways so it might touch another one, you'll need to straighten it so it won't short anymore. Once that has been done, if needed, cut a small piece of cardboard and slip it in like it was a usb device. Once you are sure that has solved the problem, squirt some silicon into the slot to seal it shut.

(I had to do this on a lady's laptop who had had someone trip over the USB cable and she had the same issues)
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

I'll have to use some tweezers or something to pull it out, but I'll try it.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
Posted Image

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:37 PM

Turn it off and unplug it before you do! You may be able to bend it sideways with a straightened paper clip or a very small screwdriver.

#5 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

I've learned the hard way to do that. That didn't solve it, so I'm probably going to remove the entire hub with a soldering iron. That should fix it, right?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
Posted Image

#6 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:45 PM

Turn it off and unplug it before you do! You may be able to bend it sideways with a straightened paper clip or a very small screwdriver.

I've learned the hard way to do that. That didn't solve it, so I'm probably going to remove the entire hub with a soldering iron. That should fix it, right?

i would not advise that

cant you just not use that one port..... ?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

iamz3r0,
When replying to a post, don't use the QUOTE button under the post, unless there is something specific in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
It keeps from cluttering up the board with unnecessary quotes. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

Unless there is something shorting in the jack, you must have damaged the electronics in the hub controller itself; but, I did just have a thought. You can disable the individual hubs in the device manager. Do Start -> Run -> Devmgmt.msc<enter>

#9 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:56 PM

Well, disabling the port and even the hub didn't work.

cant you just not use that one port..... ?

I've tried disabling it. It still restarts.

The port is pretty much destroyed. How it happened, I'm not sure. I went to straighten the pins, and it fell apart. So I'm thinking removal may be the only option. It's still restarting with DavisMcCarn's idea, and giving me a system error. When I debug it, it says USBPORT.SYS is the cause of the error. I made a post on it before, but I never inspected the port for damage, etc.

I've got the tools to remove it completely if it's necessary (unless there's anything else other than using a soldering iron to remove it, plain n' simple).

Edited by iamz3r0, 15 October 2009 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

IF (!!!!) there is a short between the 5V supply and any other part of the USB port, I can see it still causing problems no matter what you do as it will "dink" the power on all of the USB ports. On the other hand, if it is anything else, silicon has been damaged and the jig is up (systemboard replacement time).

The bear in removing the physical jack will be the grounds connected to the metal shielding. Beyond that, the four pins, themselves, are easy.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 15 October 2009 - 05:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users