Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

booting and other problems..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

Okay, I'll start from where I started having problems. Please bear with me, here.

I recently built a new computer
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (legit copy)
AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz
4GB ram
500GB Samsung SATA HDD

and it's been running fine and everything, but I decided I wanted to see if I could get a dual boot going with the hard drive from my old computer (80gb Samsung IDE), which has been sitting in my computer as a storage device, because of course it had all my old files on it. It was running Windows XP Pro sp3, and up until I took it out of my old computer worked fine. I downloaded Easybcd and set it up to give me the option to boot Windows 7 (C:) or Windows XP (D:). I restart the computer and it gives me the options like I expect, and I try to boot into XP. It just barely flashes the Windows XP loading screen and reboots the computer. I say alright, I'll try something else, and select Windows 7 when it comes up next time. Disk read error. Press ctrl + alt + delete to restart. Damn, I screwed something up.
So I grab my W7 installation CD and go into Repair Computer and try EVERYTHING in there except the mem diagnostic, and still no dice. So I run the mem diagnostic, and it goes with no errors...and suddenly boots into W7 normally! Man am I confused. So I restart again, and guess what, Disk Read Error! Everytime I boot I have to run the mem diagnostic off the W7 CD to get it to boot normally. Also, I now have a System Reserved (H:) drive that I'm pretty sure was not there before. And I also noticed that when I'm in the W7 CD selecting an Operating System to repair, it now says Windows 7 (recovered). Is that of any significance?

I'd really like to get my computer to boot normally again, and even get this dual boot worked out if I could. I'm working on finding my XP installation CD to try and to a repair to that hard drive to see if that'll make it boot. Any help is appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

You took a hard drive from an old computer with XP on it and installed it on a entirely different computer?
It will not work

Edited by garmanma, 15 October 2009 - 12:12 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Why would that make a difference? I took the (XP installed) hard drive out of my parents computer and put it inside my old build and it works fine. But when I put just solely my XP hard drive in my new computer it errors. I've gotten ahold of my XP CD and have been trying to repair it but it's mostly a lot of waiting.

NOTE: I HAVE gotten my Windows 7 to boot up normally again. Though I would still like to know of a way to fix my XP installation so I can dual boot into either. Maybe I should move this over to this XP forums unless you can help me.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

As Mark said, it will not work. the system knows nothing of the operating system on the second drive because the boot program doesn't know there is an operating system on the other disk. You will have to manually edit the boot program by running the bcedit.exe. There are a ton of tutorial on the 'net, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one to help you.

The other alternative is to make the XP disk the primary one, and then manually edit the boot.ini file to add the Windows 7 install as an option.

#5 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Well I did try having the XP disk as the primary, and in the recovery console I tried fixmbr and fixboot or whatever the other one is..and that didn't work. still got continuous reboots even before the XP loading screen came up. It did however give options for Safe Mode, etc but all of them did the same thing. I've decided it's not really worth it though..especially after I took my W7 drive out to make it less confusing and when I put it back in I had the original disk read error problem that I fixed by running the mem diagnostic test again. So I think I'm just going to leave that alone and just keep my W7 running smoothly. Thanks for the help, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users