Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive info cord question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kristjan b

kristjan b

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hello

I was trying to add a second hard drive to my dell computer when I noticed that the cord that connects from the mother board (I think) to the hard drive can only connect to one hard drive at a time.
The cord might be called an IDE cord.
I was wondering if I can just go and buy a IDE cord with 2 connecters and plug that into my hard drive, or would I need a special driver or something?
The old hard drive is a quantum fireball CR (I tried to find one online but couldn't) and it has 39 pins (I don't know if that makes a difference or not).

My second question:
There is no where for the rack from the old hard drive to connect to the case, so could I use hot glue?
The hard drive would be at the bottom of the case so it shouldn't move too much. Alternatively I could drill through the bottom of the case and attach screws to the rack.

Thanks for your help.

Kristjan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Older IDE drives have a 40-pin connection (39 pins an one blank). These drives can be installed in parallel using a cable with two connectors. Just be sure that your current hard drive, the one with your OS and everything, is on the end of the cable rather than the middle and that it's set to be the master rather than the slave. Read more about master and slave settings.

As for hot glue... I can't say that it's a bad idea. But I can't say that it's a good one, either. If you can add mount points by drilling the case, I'd do that instead.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:10 PM

To answer your second question. What is the model number of the Dell?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 kristjan b

kristjan b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:21 PM

I looked all over my dell and can't find the model number. I'll probably just end up drilling through the bottom of my dell. The holes will be nice and far away from anything important so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for your help
Kristjan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users