Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 With 1 eSata drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

I have a RAID 1 setup now and want to be able to take an external eSata SSD and add that to the RAID 1. I want to be able to have to ability to take all my data I have on my computer with me when I travel. My question is this possible? And if it is will I have to recreate the RAID when I return? And If I can do all this will I have to ability to change the files on my SSD drive and return that back to my main computer with out loosing the data?

I know that this is way to complicated and if there is an easier way with software to do it I am all open to ideas.

Thanks,
uByte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:57 AM

It will work but, 1. The computer will errror when the drive is removed and 2. any changes to the drive wont be automatically updated on the home computer.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks Sneakycyber for your response.

I guess that I am going to have to find another way to do this. Do you know of any program that will do this? Copy the entire drive give a chance to edit it and the update the home computer again?

uByte

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

A solution for you would be gotomypc.com this will allow you access to your files at home where ever you can get an internet connection. Your files will remain on the home computer (unless you choose to move them) and you can work on them through the gotomypc portal. I have seen it in action with my brothers company it works well.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

I have used gotomypc.com before but for what I want to do I need the file. I prefer TeamViewer or UltraVNC. Both work great.

I am going to keep searching.

uByte

#6 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

I ended up using SyncBack to Sync the My Documents folder and moved the outlook pst file to the USB Drive and told outlook to view it from the drive every time I open outlook. Which surprisingly works!

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users