Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

roadmap

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sallyb

sallyb

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:05 AM

I am almost embarrassed to ask such idot questions. But, like right now, I am trying to navigate back to the last instructions from "OLDTIMER", in regard to first log I posted. And, I cant find my way back to his post.

I did print out his post...but ,like a lot of posts on this board, when he says to download cwshredder.exe I cant do so without clicking on that reference word via his post itself. Otherwise, I cant download. When I try to download by just using browser to go to www.cwshredder.exe.com it dont work .I did create a folder with that same name however....but clicking on it dont do anything. For example, I now know that if someone suggests that I download ad-aware program, I would need to go to www.lavasoft.com to get to a download button for ad-aware program.

So, right now I need to get back to his post so I can dowload "cwshreadder.exe", "spsehjfix.zip" and "cleanup". otherwise, I need the company addresses of the above which contain the download buttons.

By the way, I read on posts dealing with another person's problem, that when and if I do get computer cleaned up, I should then use the anti-virus,"free-av.com" and put in a firewall called "smb.sygate.com". I hope these are ok for win98SE.

Can you advise? Sally

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:27 AM

Maybe this will help you find your post?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=25530&hl=

I'm not 100% sure which one you were looking for, but I think it was this one:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=25427&hl=

They are not idiot questions...it takes a bit of time to learn the features of the board, and how to use them. :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:12 AM

AVG anti-virus and Sygate Personal Firewall will work very well on Windows98. If you need links to these, there is a pinned topic for free applications in the "all other applications" forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Fre...apps-t3616.html

I suspect there are links to the other applications OT mentions, as well.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 jadag

jadag

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

CWShredder is no longer available from the original developer. :thumbsup:

He has handed it over to Trend Micro who have incorporated it into their Anti-Virus suite. The good news is :flowers: that the free stand-alone version is still available (and updated) at;

http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
Jadag (Montreal, Canada)

"If you know you're going to lose - lose quickly!"

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:40 AM

Actually, Intermute bought CWShredder from Merijn, who then in turn was acquired by TrendMicro... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users