Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"My Computer" is (not responding)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JCrittenden

JCrittenden

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

When I double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, the window that opens has the flashlight searching around for 45-60 seconds (used to be like 2 seconds), then the drives show up as normal. But when I click (single- or double-click) the local drive the hour glass comes on, but nothing else happens, no matter how long I wait (30 minutes was my personal limit!). I need to X out that window to get anywhere after that. When I do, the My Computer in the tray at the bottom says (not responding) and I have to End Now. Then it wants to send Microsoft an error report.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Send the error report occasionally the results are redirected to your browser if you have it open, . . .

Have you checked your event log when that occurs, if the error is logging in it may be showing up in the event log ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#3 JCrittenden

JCrittenden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Thanks Jove, lemme give that a try tonight. When I send the error report it seems like it "goes" really quickly (almost as if it really isn't doing anything, but maybe it ain't much info so it does go fast). Thanks again!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

I would check Event Viewer for error messages indicating that any of the disks/drives have a problem.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

I would also defrag the system, after running the chkdsk /r command on the system partition.

Louis

#5 JCrittenden

JCrittenden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

There are several error events (red X's) in the application event log. this is one of them near the time (I think) it began:

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I tried to open "My Computer" just now, it hung up, did the same thing as my initial description, but there was no new event. Thanks, all for your help so far.

#6 JCrittenden

JCrittenden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

P.S. "My Computer" works perfectly when I start in Safe Mode, BTW. While in Safe Mode, I ran the defrag and then ran an error check (scheduled for next restart; then let it run at reboot). After the error check ran and I re-started again, I double-clicked My Computer (not in Safe Mode, in "regular mode") and waited and waited and finally the list of drives appeared. I double-clicked my local disk, waited and waited, and finally got to the next level. If was very, very slow to navigate through these folders, and I was only able to do it once. After I closed My Computer and tried it again several minutes later, I'm back to the (not responding) message in the blue bar atop the My Computer window. Thoughts?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

Do you have any mapped network drives that are no longer available. Or maybe you have a printer installed that is no longer connected to the computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 JCrittenden

JCrittenden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

Nope. In fact, I just finished re-installing (clean) the operating system. Now, at least, I can s-l-o-w-l-y get "My Computer" to show the drives, but it is still agonizingly slow. Very frustrating! Not that I use "My Computer" much, but when I insert a flash drive, for example, I don't get the pop-up that gives me options to Take No Action, Open Folders, and so on, so I DO need to get to the flash drive via "My Computer". Aargh!!

#9 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:42 PM

JCrittenden ,
I think I need to get a better idea of what were looking at.

Your saying you recently reinstalled your Operating System ?

What are your PC specs
Model
OS

Are you using that PC to send these messages ?

Edited by Jove, 23 November 2009 - 09:43 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:29 AM

IMO, problems after a clean install...probably point to hardware, since the O/S is pristine (at that point).

That is...after ruling out the prospect of an infection on other drives attached to the system (since you mention flash drives).

I would do a clean install with no other drives attached, other than the system/boot drive and 1 optical drive...and see if the strange behavior continues.

If so, I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive, just for peace of mind.

Louis

#11 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

Hamluis,

Then you are saying an infection can stick to a disk that has been formatted ?

If so, is it safe to assume a diagnostics will detect it ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'm saying...that any disk may contain an infection, with it a known fact that floppies and flash drives are capable of transmitting malware to a system.

Once it's on the system...who can say for sure where it goes or what it might affect?

AFAIK, there's no rule that says only a system drive can become infected or provide a safe haven for malware.

See comment by Quietman7, http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:Zm9ZJh...=clnk&gl=us

As for removing all other drives (temporarily) during an install effort...I find that works best, since no extraneous drives can interfere with the partition count or letter assignments.

Interesting read at http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Top-10-Culpr...s&id=403095

Louis

#13 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

hamluis,

Hope this is not considered HighJacking !

Your information is appreciated, . .
My knowledge of Flash drives is limited, but will read into this, .

One last question, . .
These type infections will show up on the HJT log, correct,
also, the HJT will scan entire PC including both Drives if you have 2, . correct ?

Edited by Jove, 24 November 2009 - 05:23 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

I don't really know anything about using HJT...never had the need/desire for any of my computer situations.

But the folks in one of the malware forums should be able to tell you as much as you'd like to know about that particular, or other, malware programs.

My knowledge of flash drives is also limited, mostly to what I pick up from postings here at BC by others.

Louis

#15 JCrittenden

JCrittenden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hey, thanks y'all for all the interest. It's now fixed. I ran the killdisk freebie, re-installed the OS (WinXP Pro) clean, and began installing drivers and apps one at a time and checking as I went. Turned out the antivirus/internet security suite (ISS) provided by my ISP (CA, which I used happily for several years; but I guess a recent update of CA started all this mess) was the culprit. I'm presently using AVG free, but don't know if that's "secure" enough (also have Windows firewall "on"). Any commenst on AVG or recommendations for another ISS? Thanks again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users