Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade dell laptop 8100

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kilo541

kilo541

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Hi need to know what I would need to up grade this laptop-as in ram, hard drive, bios and stuff like that. This laptop has hitachi-dk23ca20 20gb System Model: Inspiron 8100
BIOS Version: Dell Computer Corporation A15
Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 256 MB Intel® Pentium® III Mobile CPU 1000MHz
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1
Speed: 996 MHz
Thanks in advance for help. Any other infomation needed please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Honestly speaking...laptops aren't upgraded, they are replaced, IMO (I don't own one).

Laptops are made with the intent of selling newer models. Due to basics of their design, there isn't a lot that can be upgraded and, as time goes by, those options become fewer with newer models coming forth.

IMO, it would be a waste of money to upgrade anything on a system that old...unless it's strictly a case of monetary contstraints. If that's the case then I would suggest considering a simple netbook from the typical offerings of today.

Max RAM is double what you have installed, approximate cost $50, .http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%208100%20Series

You could put a larger hard drive in, cost about $60, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822116040.

After you do these things...the system will still be exceptionally slow by today's standards, if working. The fact that you have such an old laptop...means that any key component may fail at any moment and you would then spend more to have it repaired than to buy a much better system.

New system: http://www.walmart.com/browse/Computers/La...elected_items=+

Louis

#3 kilo541

kilo541
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for info and time. I have all the hardware I need, just need more mem, I store alot of stuff (unnecessary). I don't have big bucks so this will have to do. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users