Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone used a Netgear Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Well recently I had my ISP gave me a Netgear Wireless G USB 2.0 WG11 V2 Adapter. Basically as I went through the steps the step which asks you to select your region never showed up (like it's meant to) and the smart wizard closed down (after remaining open and not being able to be opened up). The blue led kept flashing but didn't stay blue. Apparently it was "installed and ready to be used" according to XP but I couldn't connect to my router (wireless connection menu didn't show up) also the Smart Wizard which the Setup CD installed didn't work - application didn't load up when I double clicked it. Repeatedly last night I kept trying installing, uninstalling then trying again but for some reason it just didn't work. Furthermore the adapter's software changed the login screen to the classic prompt one :thumbsup: (which i've changed by uninstalling the program). Then my computer began behaving sluggishly with MSN prompting me to access the internet by dial up (WTF?). Some suggestions on Netgears site say to disable to Wireless Zero Configuration service which I did but it still doesn't work. From other comments on the internet i've heard that compatibility issues have been there for years between the adapter and XP and Win 2000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:24 PM

You should be able to use Windows Wireless Config, available in Network Places.

I believe you go to Network Places and on the left is a link for a Wireles Connection Wizard. Try using that. I threw away my Netgear disk. It was constantly dropping the signal and making me reconfigure.

Good luck.

DR

#3 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

I've already got a network a wireless network though (which I created by using the smart wizard which came with my router - which was pretty straightford no fuss).

#4 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

Search for wireless networks doesn't come up aswell when I put in my Netgear Adapter.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

If you already have a network set up, you must have an SSID and (hopefully) a Network Key, in order to connect wirelessly. The network key keeps it secure; so keep those 2 items handy. You also have the opportunity to select the type of security, WPA or WEP.

What choices do you have when you go to Network Places? Do you see anything resembling a wireless wizard? Do you see a Local Area Connection and/or anything else?

It is possible that the Netgear disabled the Windows app. You might have to uninstall the Netgear App in order to regain control through Windows.

DR

#6 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:28 AM

I think the adapter is faulty. I was on the phone to them and after 50 mins of trying to get it to work they decided to send me a new adapter ;) This time they're going to give me a N one. Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Edited by Skydie, 18 October 2009 - 03:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users