Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Troubles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 milzee

milzee

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

I Just Brought A Wireless Router From D-Link & I Have A Broadband Modem Router Already On The Network - How Can I Set Them Up Together?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:00 AM

look at my last reply, actuallt it was to you!!
assuming you are using cable internet, set it up physically as such

internet incoming cable>Modem>router>computer
use a wire to set up your router, not wirelessly, you will need to either call in the MAC address of your router (it is in the "quick setup" for dlink), or "clone the MAC address of a computer you were using on their (your ISP) server. you can do this also in the quick setup of your router!

open up the web browser, and type 192.168.0.1 , this will get you to all the router setup options!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 milzee

milzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:05 AM

Sorry, Im Not Using Cable, but I'm Using ADSL.

I Managed To Get The Routers Working - I Had To Change The Modem To "Bridge" Mode. But Now I Have A Different Problem. On The Wireless Network My Laptop & Desktop System Are Connected. But The Internet Speed On Each Is Something Like 220 Bps, Yet I Have Broadband & It's The Same On The Wired Network. Help!!

Milzee

Edited by milzee, 02 August 2005 - 04:21 AM.

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

i am a little hazy as to what the question is , could you please restate it? thx

#5 milzee

milzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:48 AM

Ok Well For Starters This Is My Network Setup:

BROADBAND MODEM > WIRELESS ROUTER > Wired Network
> Wireless Network

I Have Broadband, Yet The Speed Is Dial Up Speed Both On The Wired & Wireless Network. I Know It Has Something To Do With The Wireless Router Because When I Just Connect With The Modem I Get The Broadband Speed Again. Please Help Because Im Sick Of Dial-Up Speed - I Want My Broadband Speed Back.

Milzee

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:43 PM

unless a setting is changed in your router config, you may have a bum router, first though, try changing cat 5 cables.they are cheap. make sure you do have cat 5 cables.(another standard may change bAndwidth) go into your router config, on most decent dsl routers you have the ability to limit ip's time, bandwidth, web access. that is an unlikely situation but you never know. you should be abe to DL and UL to any website at virtually the same speed with or without your router. unless another node on the same network is eating up your bandwidth. if all else fails, try another router.
let me know how you make out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users