Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ati2dvag file - Device Driver stuck in Infinite Loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hammy106

hammy106

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

I think this has been a common problem but i have had no success in trying to fix the problem.

My desktop computer starts up fine then when I am doing something like watching video or playing PC game the computer will:

1. Freeze then go to a really big screen resolution (this happens mostly when playing games)
2. Freeze then auto reboot without me doing anything.
3. Freeze then just stop but the PC is still running and isnt rebooting.

So I just wiped everything on the desktop as it needed it done anyways. This hasnt solved the problem but when it did it again i got a blue screen with a message saying ati2dvag file problem - Device Driver stuck in Infinite Loop. I never got that message before.

I tried updating drivers but not sure if I updated them correctly as the problem still exsists. I dont want to go any further just incase i cause more damage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

Try uninstalling your video drivers, using Device Manager.

Then reinstall them or install updated drivers.

You should disable auto reboot, How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/.

Louis

#3 hammy106

hammy106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

Here is a screendump:

Posted Image

What am i uninstalling?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm a little :thumbsup: dense (depending on who's doing the judging)...what am I supposed to gather from that graphic?

Drivers don't often indicate when they need to be uninstalled, due to damage during system operations.

Since you only have problems when you are stressing your video function...what I suggested seems logical to me.

Louis

#5 hammy106

hammy106
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

I basically want to know what drivers and how many i need to uninstall. You said uninstall video drivers, how many are there? Also were can i get the driver(s) that you are referring too after using the Device Manager

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

To get drivers for your system, go to the website of the manufacturer of your system (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.) and provide the right info for Support/Drivers. You want the video drivers, but it wouldn't hurt to download all drivers that apply to your system.

If you have a custom/self-built system...go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer....etc.

Under Display Adapters...that's where the video drivers are.

Click that plus-sign in front of Display Adapters...double-click the line item that drops down. Some ATI devices have 2, but I think this only applies to capture cards, not regular video cards/chips.

Click the Driver tab...puish the Uninstall button. Reboot.

When the system reboots, XP may automatically reinstall your video drivers. If it does...see if the problem remains. If it doesn't, follow the directions provided by ATI for installing the video drivers. Those directions should be available at the same site you download the drivers from.

Louis

#7 jaruler

jaruler

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi there.

sorry to hijack. but i am having a very identical problem and i have already uninstalled and installed drivers several times now.

Any other tips?
I posted problem first on the main ait forum also http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...p;enterthread=y

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users