Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 and windowsupdate.microsoft.com - error

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JayDPiii

JayDPiii

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hi;

I have Win XP Pro, FireFox 3.5.x, and currently I.E. 7.

PREVIOUS HISTORY:
1.) I had I.E. 8.
2.) I wanted to try Google Chrome. I didn't like it, and uninstalled it.
3.) I then noticed that I could NOT connect with FireFox to windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
4.) I tried it with IE8, no success.
5.) Eventually, problem worsened, could not connect to any web sites with IE8.
6.) Then, could not connect to some other web sites with FireFox.
7.) About 4 weeks ago, researched, and symptoms led me to a program HiJackThis, and then this web site: Bleeping Computer.
8.) Eventually, after following Bleeping Computer tutorials and directions, posted into the HiJackThis forum.
9.) End result, after 1-1/2 weeks of back and forth, and stepping through suggested procedures - major problem/problems cleared. (THANKS! to Bleeping Computer experts - HiJackThis topic forum!)
10.) Last step, in that forum was removing IE8, which brought me back to IE7.
11.) I can now connect to all web sites, including the original problem of connecting to windowsupdate.microsoft.com; however, eventually, it fails...
12.) NOTE: Google Chrome might or might not have been the initial cause. It might or might not have been coincidental. The two weeks of working with an expert through the HiJackThis forum, did find and remove a possible mal-ware - that might or might not have been the initial cause - but did solve all of the IE8/IE7 connection problems, except this one. OR some of the fixes which solved the problem might have inadvertently caused this problem. OR, Google Chrome cause this problem, initially - and then through Google Chrome, something else masked this problem, and exasperated the problems, themselves.
However it was caused, all fixed, except for this one, of which the details are below:

A.) Removing IE 8 did work as final step in 1-1/2 weeks of fixes/procedures.
I can now connect and go to all websites with IE 7.
B.) However, windowsupdate.microsoft.com is giving an error.

Steps followed were:
1.) I can now connect to the windowsupdate.microsoft.com website.
2.) I click EXPRESS.
3.) Then I get the following:

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:
__ Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
__ Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

4.) I select REGISTER or REINSTALL.....
5.) I click CONTINUE.
6.) I get the following Error:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

7.) I click Diagnose Connection Problems
8.) Result: Nothing - a tiny "Error on page"in very bottom of web browser (IE 7).
9.) After error occurs, I can NOT go to any web sites with IE 7, until after I close IE7 browser and re-open it.
10.) However, this problem/error does not cause any connection problems, if I then try to navigate using FireFox.
11.) I can NOT use FireFox to go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com,because Microsoft requires IE 5 or later.

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

12.) Thanks, in advance, for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users