Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer won't start, please help

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TheBigFig

TheBigFig

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:04 AM

My girlfriend was on my desktop online and then she told me that randomly the screen went blank and restarted. It would pull up the compaq screen then show the screen with safe mode, start windows normally, and last good configuration. No mater which choice I pick after doing it, the screen will go blank and then restart again. I already tried opening up my computer and checking the memory sticks (I have 3 of them) to make sure they are all in place as well as taking one out and trying with differ combinations and the computer still keeps restarting. Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Sounds like possible overheating of system, IMO.

Louis

#3 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

Sounds like possible overheating of system, IMO.

Louis

I thought that also which is why I had the computer turned off for a while (this happened Monday night) and I had it turned off till late last night and was still having the problems so that's probably not it

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

You may be correct...assuming that the heatsink is securely, properly fastened and working to keep the CPU from damage.

Could also be a failing power supply.

Worth checking both of those, IMO.

Louis

#5 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

You may be correct...assuming that the heatsink is securely, properly fastened and working to keep the CPU from damage.

Could also be a failing power supply.

Worth checking both of those, IMO.

Louis

it's pretty secure and when I turn the CPU on with the case opened, the fans appear to be working fine. Also I tried another power supply cord and got the same result. I'm doubting it would be a power supply issue b/c when I click on f1 to go to set-up or even esc to go to the boo menu, it will stay on that menu as long as I leave it there. The only time it goes into the restart seems to be when trying to access windows

#6 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

btw I just elected to disable the auto-restart in case if a system failure and I have a blue screen with the usual a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down. the technical info is STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8a4943b2, 0xbacc326c, 0xbacc2f68). hopefully that will help.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Take a look here: How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Take a look here: How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP

I looked at it but that link mainly deals with computers that just recently added XP. I've had my computer for 4 yrs with XP on it all this time. Also the solutions seem to be ones where the user can access windows which I cannot. as it has been the computer will reboot everytime I make a selection from safe mode to normal to last good config and only when I temporarily disabled the auto-restart did that blue screen come up. I appreciate the suggestions though so far.

#9 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

The "How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x7E error" may point to new installations but no matter whether your computer is 2 days old or 5 years old, it's still worth at least trying the information.

I also noticed you said "I tried another power supply cord". If you tried just the "cord" then you're probably going to have the same results as with any cord as it has nothing to do with powering the computer except being the "leash" so-to-speak between the computer and the wall socket.

The power supply is an internal component that changes 110V/220V A/C current into 12v, 5v, and 3.3v D/C Current. If the power supply itself is not outputting enough wattage ( read power ) to keep everything in your computer running at one time, something is going to fail.

You may also want to look at the motherboard directly and see if you see any capacitors on the board that look like this. It is possible that after 4 years of running, your computer has overheated at some point and one may look similar to this picture.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#10 Mythrin

Mythrin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Also working on a friends computer that is doing the same exact thing, was browsing reddit, clicked on a link and became doomed to forever reboot. Does boot into debugging mode though. Going to check the drivers next chance I get, thanks for the stop error link :thumbsup:

Edited by Mythrin, 14 October 2009 - 03:07 PM.

#11 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

thankfully none of the capacitors look like the picture that you linked. as for the "How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x7E error" portion, it mentions using the recovery console as safe mode isn't working, but I'm not knowledgeable on what to do when in that mode. I tried chkdsk and it shows everything appears alright with a lot of disk space available. There's probably a specific function that can help, but I have no clue what to put in. BTW I tried debugging mode on the off chance it could help but unfortunately it also did not work and it went into reboot again. BTW also as I've been trying the recovery console portion, the computer has stayed on so far w/o rebooting. Thanks btw for the help.

#12 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

I tried to use the recovery console a bit more and used the chkdsk on the volume to which it shows 1 or more errors. Could that be the problem and if so, what can I do to fix it. Thanks

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

It's common for a hard drive/file system to have errors...the chkdsk /r command is invoked to fix/repair/correct such, as best as it can.

There are some situations that chkdsk cannot overcome...these usually result in a definitive error message while the command is running...or inability for the command to execute, resulting in an unanticipated stoppage of the command. An error message results from such.

You can run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility, if you really believe the hard drive may have problems.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#14 TheBigFig

TheBigFig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:26 PM

thanks for that link, it made trying to use the recovery console a bit easier, however it doesn't seem to fix the problem either. If you've got more ideas, please let me know. BTW on the Compaq screen I noticed it shows F10 for system recovery, could that be a way to address this? Also going back to the power supply possibility, how can I check it as I thought changing the cords would do that, but it sounds like it may be more complicated than that. I should note that during all the time in checking the recovery console portion, the computer did not reboot at all. It seems like the only time it ever reboots is when I try to access Windows. BTW I'm sorry this situation has been taking as long as it has, it's been an annoyance for myself especially so I really appreciate all the help and suggestions so far.

#15 Trillogy

Trillogy

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

There is a virus out there that goes to the root and does about what you are saying your computer is doing. If I recall, you said your girlfriend was surfing the web when this started happening. So, if I were you, I would google that as a problem first. I would point you in the right direction, but to be honest, I can't remember much about where it was at. I was searching for a different problem when I ran across this. So, someone more knowledgable will have to help you, but I do believe that is the place to start, given the circumstances of when this first appeared. It sounds like a virus to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users