Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP and Current SATA Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DocDerek

DocDerek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a dell e520, that was preload with a RAID setup and SATA 160g HD.
it was loaded with Win XP home.

I now have a terribly corrupted hard drive, and did all I can do to recover it..
its running but there are gremlins on the drive/OS, I just cannot remove..at my technical skill level
I am a true novice.
Ran AVG full version, and its holding 11 viruses at Bay..but they still have complete control
over my Admin rights, system restore, etc. and I am not skilled enough to overcome them.
so I decided to just give in and unplug that bad drive and reload everything..

I bought a new 1 tb sata HD..but before it arrives, everyone is saying..its not going to be
able to Load XP...from the installation discs. I have a store bought full licensed version.

My question is..if My current BIOS setup sees my current bad drive and loads XP, will the
BIOS see the New SATA Drive, and load the Win XP Os? or am I in for a battle?
Please Advise,
Best, Derek,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First of all...if you only have 1 hard drive, your system could not have come preloaded as a RAID. The typical RAID requires at least 2 hard drives.

Your system may have RAID capability...but that's a non-factor unless the user sets up a RAID.

See bottom of page 27, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/NH730A01.pdf

Sooo...my question is...do you actually have two hard drives in a RAID configuration?

Louis

#3 DocDerek

DocDerek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Louis, as I said..total novice..so No I guess the Dell e520 is RAID capable as you describe,
and it has only One 160 g hd. thank you for your quick reply. Derek

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

When you receive your new hard drive, it will be blank.

If you have a "store bought" full verison of Windows XP, it will load on your new drive.

Your SATA controller only needs to understand a 1 TB hard drive and address it. As long as you can see the drive during bootup, you should have no problems installing Windows XP on your new hard drive.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 DocDerek

DocDerek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

Techextreme, and Louis,

Thank you both. I appreciate your time.

Best, Derek

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

Since you have a SATA drive already and the driver for the SATA controller is a nonfactor...well, I would not install Windows on a 1TB hard drive.

I have a 1TB SATA drive, but I don't put the O/S on it for several reasons.

1. I've never been one who thought a fast hard drive was necessary for booting/running the system. My first hard drive was 6GB and it labored with Win 95, so today's drives are far up the chain.

2. I don't believe in putting all my data...on one hard drive. I prefer to have a smaller PATA drive for the system/boot drive, while partitioning these gigantic hard drives into a reasonable number of partitions.

3. Having the O/S and all your data files on one drive...or one partition...is about the biggest invitation to disaster that I can think of. It also impedes maintenance (chkdsk and defrag) of the system partition and will prove to be a major pain.

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's disk diagnostic on your current drive, since you've written it off (it seems). If it passes the diagnostic, I would just use diagnostic to wipe it clean, returning it to a useful state. I would then install XP on a small (20-40GB) partition, using the XP install CD. Once that was done, I would create a second partion of the remaining space available on that drive...and use it for temporary storage.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I'd use the gigantic drive for permanent storage of movies, system backups, music, etc...things which will help utilize all that space :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 DocDerek

DocDerek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Louis, great advice now that you essentially lead the horse to the water.!!
I see exactly what you mean, boot from cleaned-ex-bad drive, and keep
nice fresh 1 tb drive to store files in many partitions.
If a partition becomes corrupted via virus does it only affect that partition?
I am in a grey area about how partitions really function...my mind sees them
like slices of pie as an anology, but if one is corrupted..ie virus damaged,will it affect the rest?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I think of a partition as I would think of the drawers on a Mosler safe. Each drawer can be accessed and will contain individual items/files, but a problem with one drawer doesn't necessarily impair one's ability to access the others.

Partitions can become damaged, just as a drive or any component can become damaged. When such happens, we are talking about damage to the file structures, not the physical hard drive. Normally, this is not catastrophic and can be repaired. But...it's not normal, in any sense of the expression, to have damaged partitions.

Files become corrupt/damaged. The file system (NTFS/FAT) underlying use of a computer/hard drive...can become corrupt or damaged. These things can be compensated for/overcome. Most of what I see advertised as software capable of repairing a partition...is really data recovery software.

But the advantage to partitioning that I see...is that...instead of having one big storage cabinet with all valuables inside it...a user can create multiple storage cabinets and somewhat diminish the prospect of catastrophic loss in the event of hard drive access problems.

Same approach for multiple hard drives. I like spreading the risk around, rather than placing it all on one drive/partition.

I know that many persons think one vault is good enough...but I think that 2 or more vaults is better.

User buys system, system has 1 hard drive...user thinks there can only be one hard drive in system. So user stores everything on the one drive which came with the system, not realizing or caring how perilous that may turn out to be.

Virus damage is routinely restricted to the system partition...and removeable media (floppies, flashdrives). The latter can be carriers/vectors for malware, but the system partition is generally where all the executeables are. If one wants to alter the system, that's the place to head for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Interesting reading: http://www.darkreading.com/security/client...cleID=219501248

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users