Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Hard Drive storage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:50 AM

Hi all

I have 2 Hard drives in my pc, one with Vista and one with XP pro installed on it, reason i have two is because Vista is rubbish (in my opinion) but great for gaming, and i use xp for everything else :thumbsup: my question is, i want to install a 3rd HD purely for storage and backups only, can i save stuff from Vista and XP onto this storage HD or would there be an issue due to two different OS using it? and would this 3rd HD need a OS installed on it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:06 AM

Nope, you don't need an OS on it.
For decades, now, I have had at least three drives in my systems; one for O/S and programs, one for temp files and archival storage (two partitions), and one for my data. If you set the data drive to be the same letter (I use E:), you can also easilly use TweakUI in XP to set the paths for My Documents (etc) to match those used by Vista.

P.S. Having a dedicated partition for temp files (first partition on a separate physical drive) eliminates all of the seeking needed to create temporary files and gives the system a serious kick in the behind. For your dual boot; though, I'd make a separate partition for each O/S.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Ok, ive been doing some thinking etc and have thought of a different config, ive decided to keep my Vista drive on my gaming machine and the XP Pro will be used in another pc i have here, so if i was to insert another (250gig) HDD into my Vista gaming machine purely for storage and backups as i have loads and loads of games, the question i have is, if my games are stored on the storage drive, can i put a desktop shortcut to any game and will it play/load as good as if it were on the same drive as the OS?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

If the games don't need installation, yes a shortcut should work just fine; but, if they need installation, you'll need to install the game to that drive.

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:54 PM

thanks for your replies DavisMcCarn :thumbsup: well all my games are on the Vista drive at the moment but i want to move them to the storage drive, I take it its possible to move the folders over and then create a shortcut to them or would a fresh install of all games be required?

Edited by big C.O.Z, 26 October 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

Your safest bet is to reinstall the games unless they have documentation on how to move them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users