Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A speaker stopped working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Koetsu

Koetsu

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Yeah so one of my desktop speakers stopped working. My audio was always crap anyways but now I can only hear sound from one speaker which is terrible on the ears. I've checked all the cables and nothing is wrong. Can I check for problems another way or am I forced to buy new ones?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Plug headphones into the speaker jack...if you only hear one channel, it's your system sound.

If you hear both channels, you need new speakers.

Readily available at your nearby Walmart, etc. for inexpensive prices.

Louis

#3 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:30 PM

Actually, whenever I plugged in headphones into the speakers, it was always one channel except if it's moved just right. But if I plug it into the computer directly, I can hear both. How do I fix the system sound then?

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Your system is fine (the headphones proved it) You need to buy new speakers and they are really quite inexpensive.
$11.50 with shipping http://www.buy.com/prod/cyber-acoustics-ca...1/10309824.html
$43 with shipping for some seriously nice speakers http://www.buy.com/prod/edifier-r1200-2-0-.../209762436.html
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Are you sure? I figured out that the "Wave" property was incorrect (maybe) and now both speakers work, but the sound quality is off. With headphones, I can barely hear the other speaker. Maybe it's the configuration.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

So your post "But if I plug it into the computer directly, I can hear both." was not what you meant?
The speakers will work on any MP3 player or IPod so you can test them that way, too.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 Koetsu

Koetsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

It's still a problem. The right channel isn't playing or if it is, it isn't playing very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users