Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have an Installation Disc Installed and Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

I have a previous down computer, . . (BSOD-C0000218 Registry File Failure)

I have booted from the Disc Drive with an OS installation disc, . . .

Now I have a screen up with the following;

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartioned space on this computer.

Use UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

. To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER.

.To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C.

. To delete the selected partition, press D.

57216 MB Disk 0 at Id on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

-: Partition [FAT] 31 MB < 24 MB free>

C: Partition2 [NTFS] 57184 MB <52252 MB free >

Please tell me what your recommendation is.

Note;
There is another operating system on C; I can choose to delete it, however what will happen after that, I am wondering about drives and system continuing to load set up ?

Edited by Jove, 13 October 2009 - 10:03 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

I got this here;

http://www.hps.com/~tpg/win/install.php

Not all of the options listed will be on your screen. The idea here is that your disk drive can be broken into 'partitions' (chunks) which Windows identifies as the C: and D: drive. You must have a C: drive. In general it's a good idea to have two partitions. so you can save your data on the D: partition. When you have to re-install Windows, only the files on C: are destroyed. If you were careful/lucky, you can save your data on D: and make it easier to restore things after the next install. You might not even lose data. However, if your drive is less than 10GB (10000 MB), just use one partition (the C:).

If you enter the letter 'D' (delete), you'll have to confirm you want to delete. Read the screens and delete by eventually typing 'L'. If you decide to make a C: and D: partition and currently only have a C:, you'll have to first delete C: and then create a smaller C: and then D: using the rest of drive.

If you enter the letter 'C', you must then decide how big the partition should be. There is no general guideline here, but using about half your drive for C: is a reasonable guide.

Don't get too confused by all this. Heck, you can't get it wrong. It'll Windows will either install or it won't and you can get back to this point pretty easily. If you aren't sure about this partition stuff, just make sure you see one C: partition (or create one for the whole disk) and use that. Your system will work.

Eventually, you should move the highlighted line to C: and press ENTER to start the install.

I chose to delete C:

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

By Golly, Gee Whizz, It's up and running like a bunny !

Edited by Jove, 13 October 2009 - 11:27 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users