Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partitioned Cdrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:46 PM

howdy

My C drive is a 20gig partition with my D Drive I want to get another 120gig hard drive and move my C drive to the new hard drive.

What is the easist way of doing this?

thanks

marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

You can't just move your C: drive, unless you have an Acronis image or similar.

I would disconnect your existing drive and connect up the new one. Put in your OS disk and follow the prompts to do a fresh install on the new drive. Keep going back to Windows Updates until you have all the relevant updates installed. Your new drive will now become your C: drive.

Reconnect your old drive again. It will now have a new drive#, and you will be able to access and transfer any documents or data files you wish to. You should be able to run any installed programs from your old drive, but I would be inclined to install the programs fresh on your new drive.

To avoid any dual booting conflict, I would remove as much of WINDOWS from the old drive as possible.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM