Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrosive Damage Possibilities

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

Not really positive what the problem is at this point, but things are turning out to point to a Hard Drive problem, however I am still checking and have found a small amount of corrosion working its way around the parameter fitting of the dial up modem card gizmo, on the interior, I am at sea level so it is possible this PC may have been the result of damage by sea air, I don't see any anywhere else, but does anyone have any opinions as to what extent this may be playing a roll,

Presently I do have a post for the Registry Failure in WXP, and am looking to Dell for a motherboard diagram to reset the jumpers, but would like to know a bit about anyone's expertise
on corrosion.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:21 AM

In most desktop computers, the area where corrosion would occur is on the bottom of the systemboard as that is where there will be very little airflow which allows the salt to accumulate.
http://www.hdtune 's free version will let you non-destructively check the hard drive (use the error scan and let it finish after checking the health tab)
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

DavisMcCarn

When a PC doesn't want to start, especially one where you do not have any history at all, like this cold fish that came in out of the sea, and diagnostics are limited, you suspect , anything and everything , even the rough knock you gave it when you did not know how to get the tower cover off. Then you begin to wonder if you did something to the machine while you were trying to fix it, finally, . . you think it will never start because an invisible kinetic cold spark has jumped off your body and shorted or demagnetized the system.

The corrosion is to the rear, working its way up the back, from the modem area, . .and looked fatal at first. I try to arrest it.

But after all, . . After a OS re installation. and some jogging, it finally started,

I'm sure that I will find your information invaluable and will get there to log it in.

Thank you much.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

I worked on a laptop that spent it's time on the Caribbean coast
What a nightmare
Corrosion was everywhere
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:24 AM

Thank You,
I will warn those who are headed that way !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

The absolute worst; though, is when somebody leaves one of the slot covers off the back and the poor guy has a male cat. That stuff eats up the fiberglass!

In 1981, I had a PT Sol computer brought in which had been mounted on a boat. It had over an eight of an inch of salt built up on the bottom of the main board and it took three times in the dishwasher to clean it off (just don't use soap and no dry cycle).
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users